Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Call Me, Maybe Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:23 AM
Gary Varga (4/15/2014)
Craig A. Silvis (4/15/2014)
imho it is a service, not rudeness, to the caller to say no thanks and hang up. they are looking for sales and if you know you are not buying then it wastes both their time and yours to stay on the line in an attempt at being polite.

Surely when the have been told in no uncertain terms that you are not interested then they should accept that and close the call (note that I did not say hang up).

It depends on what they are selling and how much discretion they have.

Telephone sales people often are not ALLOWED to hang up until after X attempts. The natural inclination of people would be to say "sorry for bothering you" and get the heck off the phone at the first resistance, so call centres force their agents to keep trying. They know that the inclination of people is also not to hang up on someone, and they try to take advantage. In this case, rules of politeness simply don't apply. They are actively trying to abuse your manners to close you on something you do not want. With the exception of verbal abuse or threatening behaviour, just about anything goes here. If you can't afford to have your time wasted at that moment, just hang up (I save off the numbers with alternate ring tones and just don't answer when I don't have time). No goodbye or explanation is needed, they've heard it all. If you have time to kill, kill some of theirs. 10 minutes on a no sale call costs them money. Immediate hangups are cheap. So keep them talking. See how many times you can make them repeat the same spiel. Or put down the phone and see how long it takes them to realize no one is responding. Or play a prank on them. Or try to escalate to their supervisor. Whatever floats your boat ... they called you.

With sales/marketing people on the business side, I'd imagine its different, but they will also have fewer leads and a lot more pressure to sell.
Post #1561859
Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:16 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Today @ 6:05 AM
This is one thread in particular that needs a like button. Great posts everyone.
Post #1561862
Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:47 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 2:08 AM
My favourite answer to a telesales person was from some American radio show - it involved some guy who sounded like Tommy Lee Jones in No Country... answering with some background noise sounding like police activity, suggesting that if the caller knew the murdered person they were trying to call they needed to give evidence right now - what's your name, where are you etc etc. The protests of 'I was only trying to sell him something' were unheeded to comic effect, as the details of the deceased's chalk outlining etc unfolded in the background. Can't find the link sadly - love to have the nads to try it, but maybe leave that one to the pros.
Post #1561979
Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:53 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIVfrBFc5og
Post #1561980
Posted Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:16 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:01 AM
I know of a female colleague who had a voice box signature "Hi, this is 'x'. If you are calling about the missing 'y' and have found it in person then deliver by mail. If you are male then please deliver it in person".

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1562150
Posted Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:23 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 2:08 AM
Craig A. Silvis (4/15/2014)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIVfrBFc5og

Oh yeah, that was it cheers Craig - crikey, people on the interwebz can find anything with just the loosest description.
Post #1562284
Posted Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:41 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:31 PM
I've always enjoyed forwarding the call to someone else in the company "oh, you should talk to Ralph about that, he's the man, hold on while I transfer you"

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1562292
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse