Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

CSV file to table Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:41 PM
I'm wondering if the data from a sample csv file can be transformed and loaded into a table. I have attached a workbook where worksheet1 has the sample data and worksheet2 has how the data should look in the table.

Thanks for the help!

Post Attachments 
SampleData.xlsx (22 views, 9.46 KB)
Post #1558601
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 12:07 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:08 PM
rs80 (4/4/2014)
I'm wondering if the data from a sample csv file can be transformed and loaded into a table. I have attached a workbook where worksheet1 has the sample data and worksheet2 has how the data should look in the table.

Thanks for the help!

I didn't look at your excel document but this is pretty simple to do. You can right click the database and import if this is a one time thing. If it is something you need to do repeatedly then look into creating an SSIS package to do this.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1558607
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 12:10 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks Sean for your reply. The loading of the file is on a daily basis. The layout of the data isn't straightforward so it's difficult for me to figure out how to store it in the table. Please take a look at the file.
Post #1558608
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 12:24 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

rs80 (4/4/2014)
Thanks Sean for your reply. The loading of the file is on a daily basis. The layout of the data isn't straightforward so it's difficult for me to figure out how to store it in the table. Please take a look at the file.

I am not by any stretch of the imagination good with SSIS but this doesn't look that bad. Have you tried working with it to see if you can get it even close?

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Post #1558614
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 12:35 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

I usually use a flatfile source for csv files. But since this csv has a different layout because of the way the headers are repeated I wasn't sure what to do.

My co-worker ended up loading the data into a staging table and parsing the data using a SP to a final table.

However, I was wondering if there is a way to do this in SSIS. I would imagine I'd have to use a script component to do some preprocessing. But that's why I thought of asking the experts to see what they think.
Post #1558620
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 1:06 PM

SSChampion

rs80 (4/4/2014)
I usually a flatfile source for csv files. But since this csv has a different layout because of the way the headers are repeated I wasn't sure what to do.

My co-worker ended up using loading the data into a staging table and parsing the data using a SP to a final table.

However, I was wondering if there is a way to do this in SSIS. I would imagine I'd have to use a script component to do some preprocessing. But that's why I thought of asking the experts to see what they think.

Loading to a staging table is the best way to go. Sounds like you figured it out. COOL!!!

Post #1558625
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 2:04 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?
Post #1558642
Posted Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:43 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 2:05 PM
I wouldn't quite call your source a csv file!!! This is not formatted in a consumable manner.

Whomsoever it is that generates this file should provide an actual data file. SSIS can't do anything with this.

You are better off using vba to parse the Excel into an actual csv but methinks this is not the only manner in which this file will show up so I am guessing there is no repeatable process you can write until they standardize the source data into an actual Data File.

Good luck!

Post #1559657
Posted Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:04 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks methinks.
Post #1559669
Posted Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:30 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 2:05 PM
Please let us know how it goes. I have often had a user adamant that what they provide is "good enough" so if you meet with resistance and really have to work with that file as is, come on back here.

I strongly hope they have the desire to create a real data file for you as it will be smooth sailing for you after that.
Post #1559702
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse