Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

In-place domain change. Issues with accounts Expand / Collapse
Author
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 14, 2014 6:53 AM
Hi,
I'm busy testing a migration to a new domain on one of our sandbox servers.
I'm having some issues with SSRS. Or more specific with the users access.

Some background:
We're changing the domain from Domain A to Domain B. These domains are not trusted. So I can't use accounts cross domains.
The migration will happen in place. In other words, I'm not installing a new server etc.
I'm able to get the SSRS report server up and running after the domain change. I can see all the reports and folders etc.
But none of the users. Which makes sense, as all users will have a different SID on the new domain.

I've updated the users table in the ReportServer database. I've updated the SID's & usernames to reflect the info on the new domain.

I've also updated the SecData table - hoping that the users will be listed in the reportmanager.

Can anyone please help me to "map" all the old users to the "new" domain's logins? Don't want to do this manually...?

The second question that I have is, what will happen if I restore the encryption key? As the encryption key was created in the old domain. Will that matter?

Post #1554342
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014 11:15 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Any one?

Or can you please just point me in a direction on how to do a Domain change with a server that have SSRS on it...
Post #1554773
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:38 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 4:41 AM
Is this a standalone SSRS install (i.e. without Sharepoint integration)? If so, you can whip up some quick powershell code to iterate all the reports, gather the permissions, and save them to disk.

Then when you test switching the server, you could run the same code to re-apply those permissions with the new domain name.

Reporting Services Scripter used to do this in a GUI but it's hard to find now and hasn't been updated in a long time plus is pretty crashy. I'd rather script it up myself in PS, it would likely take a day at most.

There are special considerations when you rename a computer with SSRS on it; though I'm not sure if those have to be undertaken when you put it to another domain - probably? I'm going to assume you researched that bit already though because you said you got it up and running. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's just to do with accounts and permissions used to run the service. MS did an article about it at one stage.
Post #1554787
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:03 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

It's a native installation - so no sharepoint.

I'll look at the PS scripts.

Hopefully that can help.
Post #1554831
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse