Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

importing to SQL Server from .txt Expand / Collapse
Author
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:00 PM
No Phil, that is not correct. You wrote to go to Advanced Editor of Flat File Source. But you didn't say to go to the Connection Manager for the Flat File Source. Very important distinction for anyone else who may read that.

This was NOT solution:
....from flat file source to destination, using the Advanced Editor to view the data types that SSIS is using as the data passes through the pipeline.

This was solution:
from Flat File Connection Manager, Click Edit, and go to Advanced and evaluate that the size of the property 'OutputColumnWidth' accommodates the size of the input.

Flat File Source and Flat File Connection Manager are two different things
Post #1560022
Posted Wednesday, April 9, 2014 10:27 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:20 AM
KoldCoffee (4/9/2014)
No Phil, that is not correct. You wrote to go to Advanced Editor of Flat File Source. But you didn't say to go to the Connection Manager for the Flat File Source. Very important distinction for anyone else who may read that.

This was NOT solution:
....from flat file source to destination, using the Advanced Editor to view the data types that SSIS is using as the data passes through the pipeline.

This was solution:
from Flat File Connection Manager, Click Edit, and go to Advanced and evaluate that the size of the property 'OutputColumnWidth' accommodates the size of the input.

OK, I see your point. It was not as precise as it could have been.

But notice how I used lower case for 'flat file source' and 'destination' - also very important, at least in my head (), because without capitals they are not defined terms - just a generic source (which happens to be a flat file) and some destination.

My intention was for you to trace the entire data path, from beginning to end, which includes the definition of the file. My apologies.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1560059
Posted Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:07 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Ooooh, I didn't interpret the lower case f's as intended

Phil, you're really a great resource on these forums and have helped a huge amount in my past three years. I won't take that from you
Post #1560104
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:29 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:20 AM
KoldCoffee (4/9/2014)
Ooooh, I didn't interpret the lower case f's as intended

..along with >99% of others, I would guess

Phil, you're really a great resource on these forums and have helped a huge amount in my past three years. I won't take that from you

Thank you very much!

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1560285
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:57 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:34 AM
+1 from me

Phil, Gail and Koen are some of the most generous and helpful forum members on any board I visit and their opinions and advice have saved (or earned) me hundreds of pounds and weeks of work and their contribution is rarely recognised.

In general this board is the most friendly and active technical forum I use with very little flaming and enduring patience for noobs. Creds go out to all the users. Other folks worthy of a mention here include Lynne Pettis and even Joe Celko (whom we love to hate)

If any are going to SQL Bits in Telford, Shropshire in June, I would feel honoured to buy them a drink.

Aaron
Post #1560655
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:17 PM
Say Hey Kid

oh man aaron, why did you do that? Now we hazard to leave out other names like dwain.c, SeanLange, jeff Moden, ChrisM@Work, and ofcourse others that don't immediately come to mind. Yes, there's a special group in here, and then ColdCoffee helped me a lot once too.
The key has been that those people who have trusted our motivation to learn and gave what we asked for, when we asked, and in a way that was digestable (baby spoons). I have grown tremendously as a result of those who helped here.
Yup, Phil.
Post #1560660
Posted Friday, April 11, 2014 6:27 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 7:40 AM
KoldCoffee (4/9/2014)

This was NOT solution:

This was solution:

Ah yes, the flat file is the only exception where the connection manager dictates the metadata of the columns, not the source component itself.
But in the advanced editor of the flat file source you can see in the external/output columns the length of the strings coming in, so that might have given a clue.

Glad you got it resolved though, truncation errors can be a pain.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1560857
Posted Friday, April 11, 2014 6:28 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 7:40 AM
aaron.reese (4/10/2014)
+1 from me

Phil, Gail and Koen are some of the most generous and helpful forum members on any board I visit and their opinions and advice have saved (or earned) me hundreds of pounds and weeks of work and their contribution is rarely recognised.

In general this board is the most friendly and active technical forum I use with very little flaming and enduring patience for noobs. Creds go out to all the users. Other folks worthy of a mention here include Lynne Pettis and even Joe Celko (whom we love to hate)

If any are going to SQL Bits in Telford, Shropshire in June, I would feel honoured to buy them a drink.

Aaron

Thanks for the kind words

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1560858
Posted Friday, April 11, 2014 6:51 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:02 PM
aaron.reese (4/10/2014)
+1 from me

Aaron

Thank you for the kind words, I for one am humbled.

As for being at SQL Bits, maybe one day but I will still be in Afghanistan in June. Please, drink one for me!

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1560873
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse