Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Divide and Conquer Expand / Collapse
Author

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 6:30 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Divide and Conquer

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #1553743
Posted Monday, March 24, 2014 5:47 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:32 AM
Been suggesting the use of schemas to developers since 2000 at different companies. But still too many of them want the quickest solution now and tomorrow is some distant event for someone else to sort out.

For me its been a useful technique, especially on the evolving projects.
Post #1553985
Posted Monday, March 24, 2014 6:01 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:01 AM
Here, the schema is used as a namespace, a name container just like in .Net for instance, no security are used against them (anyway everything use SysAdmin role privilege, and no way they will changed that either).

Why? Simply because that "mentality" is closer to their working mind set (no one here understand / knows what the schema can be used for)
Post #1553995
Posted Monday, March 24, 2014 11:12 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 12:12 PM
Megistal (3/24/2014)
Here, the schema is used as a namespace, a name container just like in .Net for instance, no security are used against them

I'm using schemas this way in the current project I'm developing. Though 2 of the schemas I intend to add security functions to as well.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.
Post #1554152
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:22 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:19 PM
It seems to me that schemas need to be part of the initial database design and will be used mainly for larger databases that need a formal design phase.
Many departmental databases started life as someone's informal personal project and are unlikely to have well thought-out schemas. And once they are in general use it is almost impossible to retro-fit schemas without breaking the automation and reporting scripts that will have sprung up around it.
Post #1554702
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:28 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:32 AM
mosaic-287947 (3/25/2014)
It seems to me that schemas need to be part of the initial database design and will be used mainly for larger databases that need a formal design phase.

It certainly helps to have a design phase.

Many departmental databases started life as someone's informal personal project and are unlikely to have well thought-out schemas. And once they are in general use it is almost impossible to retro-fit schemas without breaking the automation and reporting scripts that will have sprung up around it.

Yes it can be difficult, but also well worth while to implement. Leave it too late and it can be even more problematic.
Post #1554806
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:32 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:49 PM
Great article. I have been pushing the use of AD groups and schemas for years for adminstration purposes. Unfortunately, many do not want to take the time to set it up correctly. Now I will just send this article to explain the benefits of using a schema-based security model.

Post #1555223
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse