Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Bad Days Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 3:18 PM
I have chuckled about this several times already today! This is great!

Manic Star (3/21/2014)
I accidentally scrambled production data in an effort to scramble DEV data once.

As if I don't have enough shame from my other post, a loooong time ago when I was green, I bulk copied some data from production to move to dev, then truncated the table on dev. You guessed it....I truncated production instead! Thankfully I had just bulk copied the data so I just bulk copied it back. I truly felt all the blood rush to my feet when that happened.
Post #1553685
Posted Friday, March 21, 2014 5:49 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 7:13 PM
phonetictalk (3/21/2014)
I agree with Steve on Anonymous. Of course it's easy to say "find a new job" but much more stressful if you're already living paycheck to paycheck, have debts or family depending on you, or if your marketable skills have slipped in favour of the proprietary systems & data you work with.

The problem with abandoning ship in his case is not that it is necessarily a bad job, but more that the management has mismanaged the program/funds that he's working with.

So it isn't a technical issue, but rather a management issue. No dead server; or deleted DB; or an error that he has some responsibility over.

But when it comes to job hunting, it is really a full time job on it's own. I was let go from my last job because of an AD scripting error and not a DB problem. I had been looking for a job fro the prior year while I was at my current job and had only one interview.

The five weeks between jobs had three phone interviews and two face-to-face. The second F2F had me a job offer. I'm making more, now able to telecommute and am essentially on par with my manager for a respect level.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1553713
Posted Monday, March 24, 2014 7:24 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:00 AM
Someone decides to run a script that updates 100 million rows in a billion row table; if you're the DBA, then you're going to have a handful of very bad days.
Post #1554022
Posted Monday, March 24, 2014 9:53 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:31 AM
LSAdvantage (3/21/2014)

Manic Star (3/21/2014)
I accidentally scrambled production data in an effort to scramble DEV data once.

As if I don't have enough shame from my other post, a loooong time ago when I was green, I bulk copied some data from production to move to dev, then truncated the table on dev. You guessed it....I truncated production instead! Thankfully I had just bulk copied the data so I just bulk copied it back. I truly felt all the blood rush to my feet when that happened.

Yep, i walked into boss's office right after i realized what happened, and he was actually pretty cool about helping me recover from the error.

Lesson learned, always double-check your connection and use transactions even for 'routine stupid stuff'.
Post #1554098
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:42 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:59 AM
How's this for bad practice. I needed to restore a dev database, so intended on taking it offline prior to the restore. Like a fool I was multitasking, and on one monitor had an instance of of SSMS connected to our live server to do some reporting, and on my other monitor a second SSMS connected to dev. Our dev database had the same name as our live database, guess which one got taken offline!

It took about a minute to realise what I had done, by which time we had taken our 6th call from users who had been kicked out of our main 'line of business' system

We blamed the shoddy network for dropping out

Post #1554318
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014 4:01 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 6:27 AM
Manic Star (3/24/2014)
LSAdvantage (3/21/2014)

Manic Star (3/21/2014)

Yep, i walked into boss's office right after i realized what happened, and he was actually pretty cool about helping me recover from the error.

Lesson learned, always double-check your connection and use transactions even for 'routine stupid stuff'.

I use the connection colour option in SSMS. See 'Use custom color' and set up registered servers using the desired colours. I tend to give red to production, yellow(ish) to UAT etc and green to development instances. It works like traffic lights in that I don't remember checking most of the times when it wasn't an issue but I do notice the colour a lot of times when I need to be sure.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1554341
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:05 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:53 PM
Gary Varga (3/25/2014)

I use the connection colour option in SSMS. See 'Use custom color' and set up registered servers using the desired colours. I tend to give red to production, yellow(ish) to UAT etc and green to development instances. It works like traffic lights in that I don't remember checking most of the times when it wasn't an issue but I do notice the colour a lot of times when I need to be sure.

I think this works well for some people, but for others your muscle memory takes over and the colors blur into the background because you see them so often.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1555020
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:27 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:00 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/26/2014)
Gary Varga (3/25/2014)

I think this works well for some people, but for others your muscle memory takes over and the colors blur into the background because you see them so often.

For application, user, or service accounts, we can limit operations using role based security. The problem with sysadmin, is that it always has full privilege. However, running ad-hoc DML or DDL operations should not be part of a DBA's daily routine. Something that would be useful, not specific to SSMS but rather a feature of the provider libraries, is a ReadOnly connection option. In the SSMS 'Connect To Server' dialog, the DBA could toggle on or off the ReadOnly option depending on wether they are just managing backups and monitoring that day, or wether they are about to do something like run a deployment script.
Post #1555044
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:31 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 6:27 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/26/2014)
Gary Varga (3/25/2014)

This is something EVERY dev should do as we rarely should be on production instances and I have found it is under these rare circumstances that the red comes up like a neon sign. I can imagine for DBAs it will be a kaleidoscope of colours

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1555106
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:59 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 12:54 PM
I can imagine for DBAs it will be a kaleidoscope of colours

I always wanted to use kaleidoscope in a sentence. "I just hit F5 with focus on the wrong monitor and now my vision is a kaleidoscope of 'rows affected' and red connection color screens".
Post #1555121
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse