Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Developers, developers, developers Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:48 PM
While most of this audience aren't in the development space, some may be, and the impacts of the results could certainly affect our careers.

Odd, I would expect the vast majority of StackTrace members to be developers or working with technology in some way. I personally only end up in one of their forums when I'm googling or binging a technical question, so perhaps there are dimensions to the website I havn't seen.

Looking at the survey results in the Excel sheet, what stands out to me is that, of the 7,644 responders, only 61 identified themselves as "Database Administrator" and 193 were identified as "I don't work in tech". There was no category for "Database Developer". Clearly SQLServerCentral.com is the primary go-to place I'd refer a developer when the topic is SQL Server.
Post #1549750
Posted Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:27 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:39 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Doesn't seem like I am missing, a much more focused community, elsewhere. Good to know, because I like it here.

I haven't picked up the game of "upset the DBAs", yet. Good to know there are other players out there.

<><
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.
Post #1549778
Posted Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:54 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Sunday, November 9, 2014 7:49 AM
Thank you, Steve, for posting this. I didn't even know that Stack Overflow did this sort of thing. I use Stack Overflow frequently, but tend to go straight there, post on question, and then I'm off to do something else. Very interesting results. Many not surprising, but it's good to know that what I had a feeling was likely true is in fact often true.

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1549794
Posted Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:47 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:25 PM
Rod at work (3/11/2014)
Thank you, Steve, for posting this. I didn't even know that Stack Overflow did this sort of thing. I use Stack Overflow frequently, but tend to go straight there, post on question, and then I'm off to do something else. Very interesting results. Many not surprising, but it's good to know that what I had a feeling was likely true is in fact often true.

YW

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1549821
Posted Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, October 10, 2014 11:19 AM
Taking a slightly different tact, I don't see myself doing development on an iphone. Apparently neither does the big MS. I've heard it stated that MS suggests developers stick with Win7 and not upgrade to Win8 because it doesn't support development as well. Not having worked with Win8 I can't say one way or t'other. Comments?
Post #1549864
Posted Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:19 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:42 AM
calhorg (3/11/2014)
Taking a slightly different tact, I don't see myself doing development on an iphone. Apparently neither does the big MS. I've heard it stated that MS suggests developers stick with Win7 and not upgrade to Win8 because it doesn't support development as well. Not having worked with Win8 I can't say one way or t'other. Comments?

I have developed on Win8 and currently Win8.1 (not with current client - still XP there). I find I can do it without issue. It is infinitely easier than XP and a vast improvement over Vista and better than 7. Maybe it is because I got into these OSes and my use changed with them. It is the same for Visual Studio. Only when you go back do you realise how much these have been improved.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1549868
Posted Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:53 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Sunday, November 9, 2014 7:49 AM
Gary Varga (3/11/2014)
calhorg (3/11/2014)

I have developed on Win8 and currently Win8.1 (not with current client - still XP there). I find I can do it without issue. It is infinitely easier than XP and a vast improvement over Vista and better than 7. Maybe it is because I got into these OSes and my use changed with them. It is the same for Visual Studio. Only when you go back do you realise how much these have been improved.

I agree with you, Gary. I have Win8.1 at home and do development there in Visual Studio. I find it an enjoyable experience and it works fine for me. At work we're at Win7, and will likely stay there for a while.

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1549911
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse