Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456

High Memory is 70% & growing Fast Expand / Collapse
Author

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:39 AM
praneethydba (4/8/2014)
HI,

I dint run cleanbuffer..

Reboot?

I'm a DBA.
I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.
Post #1559701
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:53 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:53 PM
No Reboot. Today surprisingly my manager asked another DBA to check and he reduced the memory CAP to 10 GB, and no issues till now.... I am very eagerly waiting to see the result of this action...
Post #1560566
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:12 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:53 AM
praneethydba (4/10/2014)
and he reduced the memory CAP to 10 GB, and no issues till now....

Why? Why would you want more than half of the memory on the server to go completely to waste? Why would you want to cripple SQL by limiting its memory that much?

Sure, that's going to reduce the % memory used but it's counterproductive. Free memory is memory not being used, it's memory going to waste, it's a waste of money spent on that memory. By doing that you will have around 16GB memory doing absolutely nothing, may as well remove that 16GB from the server and throw it away as that's the equivalent of what's been done there.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1560572
Posted Sunday, April 13, 2014 3:25 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:39 AM
GilaMonster (4/10/2014)
praneethydba (4/10/2014)
and he reduced the memory CAP to 10 GB, and no issues till now....

Why? Why would you want more than half of the memory on the server to go completely to waste? Why would you want to cripple SQL by limiting its memory that much?

Sure, that's going to reduce the % memory used but it's counterproductive. Free memory is memory not being used, it's memory going to waste, it's a waste of money spent on that memory. By doing that you will have around 16GB memory doing absolutely nothing, may as well remove that 16GB from the server and throw it away as that's the equivalent of what's been done there.

What Gail said. Again. You do realise you're ignoring one of the best known and respected SQL Server experts on the planet. She's right, you're wrong, your client is wrong and the guy who did that is wrong. Seriously, listen to Gail and the others who have given you good advice. The reason your PLE is shocking is because you're ignored it.

I'm sorry for being so blunt, but what is the point of asking for advice if you're going to ignore it, even when it's explained to you? I just don't understand that. Admittedly I get it a lot. But I don't understand it.

I'm a DBA.
I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.
Post #1561301
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 1:33 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:53 PM
HI All,

SOrry for the trouble...

I argued with my colleague and replace the memory setting to Max.
I explained and convinced them. Now its all good....

Thanks for the advices....

Now they want to do rebuild the particular database i.e. most used database in order to check the performance....

Post #1561349
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456

Permissions Expand / Collapse