Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Downtime Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:15 AM
If you think the Chaos Monkey could help you, let us know.

I think it would drive me bananas.
Post #1546980
Posted Monday, March 3, 2014 10:41 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:42 PM
We do the Chaos Monkey in software development all the time. I am kind of surprised no one has recognized this. Testers are supposed to find ways to break software and are generally spiffed to find issues.

Someone also mentioned the old turn off the server and see if anyone complains. We also do this with software/reports. When we upgrade if we're not sure a report is used then it's not upgraded. Now if we could just learn to document everything maybe we wouldn't need to do this.

Chaos rarely reigns when we do the above, it's just painful for a little while.
Post #1547032
Posted Monday, March 3, 2014 4:30 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:51 PM
I like the idea of the chaos monkey. Outages need to be tested and processes practiced. Without the practice, people forget what to do or they act slowly trying to figure it out. With a planned outage, you get the chance to practice and make sure the process works.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1547121
Posted Monday, March 3, 2014 6:44 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:09 PM
Well my last company didn't have a Chaos Monkey. But we had at least once a year that we had to fire up all the systems at the DR site. And that included getting a temp code if needed for some systems. We explained to the vendors that if they couldn't handle us doing a DR test, then we would have to find a new vendor. Not a single one let us down.

We also had some functions at the DR site we would test back at the primary location. (The e-mail Groupwise setup done in a graphic looked like a cloverleaf with a small highway to nowhere. )

At the same time the need for the Chaos Monkey was limited from the simple fact that basically every single server that was in production was touched everyday.

There was a stack of test servers that weren't used every day but the upgrade cycle of over twenty-five SW packages usually was going to be touching any group of them within two-three weeks.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1547140
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse