Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Covering Indexes question Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:33 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:50 AM
Greetings,

One simple question regarding the concept behing the Covering Indexes technique. I understood the explanation and purpose (to improve performance of the query plan by not needing to perform additional lookups through the heap or clustered table), but one thing bothers me: How is the data retrieved stored at the nonclustered index, since the leaf level contains only clustering keys or row locators? I thought this was possible only with the clustered index that has actually data pages on the leaf level.

Thanks
Post #1546168
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:49 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:25 PM
Included columns are stored alongside the clustered index key lookup information at the leaf level, thus widening the storage for that index. It's a powerful tool, but easy to abuse.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1546171
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse