Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Job interview question (DBA/Developer) Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:26 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:51 AM
P Jones (2/26/2014)
Also answers such as "I'd get on the SQL Server central website and see what others who have faced similar problems recommend examining" show a readiness to learn new techniques and that you know where to look for answers. Much better than "I haven't a clue where to start".

One of my favorite questions when interviewing was "Where do you go when you get stuck." Google was one possible answer, but not complete. I wanted to see if people were using forums too.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1545325
Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:19 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 6:07 AM
A couple of recent interviews have asked about how I learn and where I go for help.
So User Group's, SQL Bits, PASS, SSC, webanairs, SQL Relay, etc. Handy for one job as they were the venue for the local User group!
It was nice to hear as a question.

Rodders...

Post #1545338
Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:05 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:12 PM
To echo what MyDoggieJessie said, if you do decide to move toward the DBA arena for your long-term path, remember your roots as a developer. I find that approaching DBA tasks with the heart of a developer leads to things becoming automated, which saves so much time in the end. It's a bit more work to write it properly up front (okay, sometimes a lot more work) but seems to always be worth it in the end.

And any technical interviewer who knows what they're doing will spot memorized, canned answers. This will lead to probing questions and trick questions that will eventually trip you up. My advice would be to emphasize what you know well and admit what you don't. As Grant said, show that you know where to go for help. You'd be surprised how many people don't know about this "new" invention called Books Online.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1545357
Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:12 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:53 AM
I was a biology major but just became a DBA last year. I am going to be honest with you, people love it when you are upfront and honest. I know its about selling yourself but I am working full time with no degree in computer. I was asked question which are already mentioned here but I was able to answer it with honesty. I had no experience but they ended up hiring me. I wasn't bullshitting anybody, I just told them what I knew "I am independent, learned a lot about sql server by downloading free version, playing with it, reading books, watching you tube videos, joining different blogs which helped me understand about some of the common problems DBA's face. Just a story of my life. Good luck with your interview!

Why did I become a DBA? I could have gone into politics. Dirty work, more money
Post #1545453
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 10:26 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 10:32 AM
Regarding question number 1, you might look at this link, http://thomaslarock.com/2013/11/sql-server-troubleshooting-useful-links/ . I can't say I'm knowledgeable enough to say if these are the BEST answers, but at least it will give you an idea of the general areas of concern in troubleshooting. It seems to me that you want to show you have a general approach to the issue in answering this type of question, not necessarilly all the specifice details that you would\will learn with more experience in that field.

Good Luck,
Paul Ray
Post #1545999
Posted Friday, February 28, 2014 1:32 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:59 AM
We held a series of interview at my work recently and gave the candidates a short (15 question) written test. At the top of the question paper was written:-

"If you don't know the answer to a question state at least two places you would go to try to find the answer."

We were looking for the answers BOL / MSDN and forums / internet

-------------------------------
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Smart way to ask a question

There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx
Post #1546221
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse