Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

VMs for Development Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:30 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:34 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item VMs for Development

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1541462
Posted Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:54 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 9:05 PM
I use VMs for a few different things.

I use VMs for my lab. I also use them to keep VPN clients separate.

Here's a series of articles I did on setting up a lab with VMs
http://jasonbrimhall.info/2012/12/24/on-the-twelfth-day/
http://jasonbrimhall.info/2012/12/23/on-the-eleventh-day/
http://jasonbrimhall.info/2012/12/22/on-the-tenth-day/

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1541481
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 2:32 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 11:15 AM
I agree that VMs are a given.

I stick to Microsoft software all the way. Now my desktop/laptop client can be a client OS as opposed to a server OS due to the removal of technical restrictions from Win 8 Pro onwards. I would recommend forming a backup strategy to incorporate both to enable current work and to return to former work. Even if it is as simple as file copies.

As for licensing, I have an MSDN subscription (it was called Ultimate at the time i.e. the whole monty) which I have found to be rare amongst contractors, however, I have immediate access to pretty much all Microsoft software and I believe that most, if not all, are available within that licence for development. There are restrictions on the number of times you can install some software but with reasonably careful management I have yet to run out. I am sure that if I did run out then a call to MSDN would resolve the situation as they have the history of my licence claims to see that I am only using it appropriately.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1541506
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 5:17 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:31 AM
I have been using VM's for years now - MS ActionPack is a good alternative to full MSDN for this. I do a lot of Visual Studio development and have tended to have a VM per Visual Studio version so when you have to go back to some old code to make mods you don't have to risk upgrading projects etc for small changes - I have VM's all the way back to VS6 and what is nice is I don't have to fire them up except when needed and they migrate on with my main VM host box each time that gets upgraded.

I use VMWare WorkStation and a good tip is to aim the suspend file at an SSD - then the VM suspends and resumes super fast so you can shut down and reopen VM's dedicated to specific tasks without too much delay

James Horsley
Workflow Consulting Limited
Post #1541553
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 8:17 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, February 21, 2014 8:14 AM
I use Oracle VirtualBox for VM's. The primary reason when I started using it is that it is open source and installs its own virtual machine so you can run VM's on non-professional versions of windows. I'm not sure that that Microsoft restriction is still in place with Win 8.

I use it for test, but install my development tools in my base layer operating system. However, some things (android dev) I setup in their own VM.

I still haven't gotten to the point where I don't install anything in the base layer operating system, but I hope to get there at some point.
Post #1541616
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 8:24 AM

SSCoach

Joe Johnson-482549 (2/14/2014)

I still haven't gotten to the point where I don't install anything in the base layer operating system, but I hope to get there at some point.

I am shooting for that at some point too. It makes it sooo much easier to transition base machines when needed.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Post #1541622
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 8:25 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:31 AM

I mainly don't install stuff to the host machine now on my desktop - on my notebook I do because it is a bit of a hassle always having to fire up VM's for things. The real benefit is when you upgrade - just copy over the VM's and away you go (actually I also use removable hard disk caddies so no copy either).

James Horsley
Workflow Consulting Limited
Post #1541623
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 8:31 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 10:11 PM
I've used VMWare Player (now Player Plus) and VirtualBox. Both are good, unfortunately it's not so easy to change from one to another (I've tried this week).
With a PC with 16 GB Ram as minimum you can have several VMs running without problem.
Post #1541625
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 10:05 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Saturday, September 20, 2014 9:51 PM
I use a hosted series of VMs at Cloudshare which makes them accessible from their web interface. These are good for development and testing. I've tried building VMs using Hyper-V on Windows 8. However, I always have trouble configuring the virtual network adapter so that the hosted VM can get connectivity to the Internet. I also use Azure for development and testing, as well as proof of concept work. I receive $50/month credit as a Microsoft Action Pack subscriber. These are all ways to be more productive and provide suitable development environments without buying new hardware.
Post #1541664
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 10:07 AM

SSCoach

James Horsley (2/14/2014)

I mainly don't install stuff to the host machine now on my desktop - on my notebook I do because it is a bit of a hassle always having to fire up VM's for things. The real benefit is when you upgrade - just copy over the VM's and away you go (actually I also use removable hard disk caddies so no copy either).

Even better. I'm not a fan of the time it takes to get a new workstation working just right. SO much easier to just fire it up and go.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Post #1541665
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse