Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Did This Work? - Forum Changes at SQLServerCentral Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, February 08, 2014 12:28 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:20 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Did This Work? - Forum Changes at SQLServerCentral

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1539525
Posted Saturday, February 08, 2014 2:17 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:28 PM
I like the change. I hope that more and more people will start to use it and provide some sort of feedback along those lines.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1539528
Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 2:40 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:27 AM
I really like the change. Personally I like the MSDN model the most: OP (or mod) can mark a reply as answered, people can upvote posts or propose a reply as an answer.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1539668
Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 2:50 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 1:56 AM
Change is always good. its always feels better if you found a question marked answer.
Post #1539669
Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 8:12 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Saturday, March 15, 2014 9:30 AM
I like the change. Many is the time I've found a forum topic that covers the problem I'm having but there's nothing that notes there's a solution provided. Hopefully the OP will come back to thank the person(s) who helped and mark the post with the information that worked.
Post #1539777
Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 12:28 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, March 28, 2014 7:43 AM
So far, I like the new feature.

FYI,
I went back to some of my posts to click the "Mark as solution" button (where appropriate). For this post, I saw the option on page 1, but not on subsequent pages. Possible bug?

Dave Mason
Orange County, FL
Post #1539910
Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 2:42 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 1:37 AM
This is really a good thing. It could help you find easier the most valuable answer in posts with more answers.
Supporting it.
Regards,
Igor
Post #1539957
Posted Saturday, February 15, 2014 5:58 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, April 12, 2014 8:04 PM
I agree with Koen, I think.

The thing is, the problem you describe is twofold: the OP wants to know what the community thinks (the "experts"), but the community also wants to find out what works best for the OP.

So do both: (1) allow the community to vote so you get the best answer, and (2) allow the OP/mods to mark answer(s) as best for their situation.

You could also turn answers that the OP marks into stickies for the thread and move them to the top so other's don't have to hunt for them.

Thomas Knight
Post #1541885
Posted Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:50 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:41 PM
tmlink99 (2/15/2014)
I agree with Koen, I think.

The thing is, the problem you describe is twofold: the OP wants to know what the community thinks (the "experts"), but the community also wants to find out what works best for the OP.

So do both: (1) allow the community to vote so you get the best answer, and (2) allow the OP/mods to mark answer(s) as best for their situation.

You could also turn answers that the OP marks into stickies for the thread and move them to the top so other's don't have to hunt for them.

Thomas Knight

As I stated peviously, the OP is frequently the worst person to judge answers. You have to remember that they asked the question because they don't know about the subject and they're frequently desparate and will take the first answer that works for them even if it might be the worst answer. I'd much rather people read through the discussion on a problem and find out what the better answers are.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1541939
Posted Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:18 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:20 PM
Jeff Moden (2/16/2014)

As I stated peviously, the OP is frequently the worst person to judge answers. You have to remember that they asked the question because they don't know about the subject and they're frequently desparate and will take the first answer that works for them even if it might be the worst answer. I'd much rather people read through the discussion on a problem and find out what the better answers are.

I agree, however there is value in knowing that a solution helped them. The discussion can shake out if there are better solutions. Sometimes there are and the OP (or others) cannot implement them.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1542603
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse