Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Index Rebuild or Reorganize not working on Clustered index Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 29, 2014 11:31 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, January 31, 2014 4:06 AM
I have one really small table just having 25 rows and in that I have primary column with identity.
when I seen fragmentation(avg_fragmentation_in_percent) on that column it was 50% ,I tried rebuild but no change in fragmentation, than i tried reorganize index but also not worked.

Can anyone suggest me what to do with that column how can i reduce fragmentation. and why is not happening.

P.S : I do have 3 to 4 foreign keys in that table but not index on those columns.

Post #1536179
Posted Wednesday, January 29, 2014 11:54 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 4:42 PM
BriPan (1/29/2014)
I tried rebuild but no change in fragmentation, than i tried reorganize index but also not worked.

Can anyone suggest me what to do with that column how can i reduce fragmentation. and why is not happening.

Fragmentation's not dropping because
really small table just having 25 rows
, waaaaay too small for fragmentation to have any effect or rebuilds to do anything. It's probably a 2 page table.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1536182
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:40 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, January 31, 2014 4:06 AM
Thanks I got your point..Indeed it is having only 2 page table .

i have other table also they were having more than 1000 rows and having clustered index and page count
3 or max 7 . and they also having same problem.

is it same situation for all those. because some similar tables are having 0 fragmentation. whats the difference.
Post #1536190
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:50 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 12:58 AM
Yes its the same problem, the recommendation is usually to ignore fragmentation on indexes with less than 1000 pages, although I find in practice I am not worried on anything slightly over that either.
Post #1536437
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:43 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 4:42 PM
BriPan (1/30/2014)
i have other table also they were having more than 1000 rows and having clustered index and page count
3 or max 7 . and they also having same problem.

Yup.
waaaaay too small for fragmentation to have any effect or rebuilds to do anything.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1536471
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse