Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Removing the Builtin Administrators - Some Pitfalls to Avoid Expand / Collapse
Author

Keeper of the Duck

Keeper of the Duck

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 8:24 AM
John Dennis (6/2/2008)
As ALZDBA points out--It is better to create a windows account for the service to run under than NT Authority\SYSTEM. Granting permission to NT Authority\SYSTEM gives "any" service or application, running under that context, the same rights to the SQL Server and there is even less tracability than BUILTIN\Administrators.

Depending on the 3rd party backup software, though, that may not be a supported configuration. We've hit that wall ourselves. The local SYSTEM does have some implicit rights that even the local Administrators group on the server doesn't.

K. Brian Kelley, CISA, MCSE, Security+, MVP - SQL Server
Regular Columnist (Security), SQLServerCentral.com
Author of Introduction to SQL Server: Basic Skills for Any SQL Server User
| Professional Development blog | Technical Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter
Post #510294
Posted Monday, June 2, 2008 3:28 PM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:15 AM
With that said, and us only getting an error message for the VSS service, not being able to log-in with the NT AUthority\SYSTEM, I guess it would be best to just have the VSS service log-in with some Windows account. Thanks all.

Chris
Post #510320
Posted Tuesday, June 3, 2008 7:08 AM

Keeper of the Duck

Keeper of the Duck

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 8:24 AM
If it's Volume Shadow Copy, I'm not sure what supported configuration there is with respect to service accounts. I know in the past you couldn't run Full Text with anything other than the System account. Thankfully, that was changed in SQL Server 2005. You may want to verify that, first.

K. Brian Kelley, CISA, MCSE, Security+, MVP - SQL Server
Regular Columnist (Security), SQLServerCentral.com
Author of Introduction to SQL Server: Basic Skills for Any SQL Server User
| Professional Development blog | Technical Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter
Post #510624
Posted Monday, February 22, 2010 9:40 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:48 AM
Kathi,

A question I have is this about removing BUILTIN\Administrators from Security->Logins on SQL Server [2005] instance.

If I remove this account from Logins, but the domain users remain as Local\Administrator on the box where SS instance is, are the users able to login the instance and remain a sysadmin? I would assume unless you add their domain users account directly to Logins, then NO, but just wanted to check.

Thanks,

Zee - Atlanta
Accidental DBA
Post #870502
Posted Monday, February 22, 2010 10:27 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:31 PM
ZeeAtl (2/22/2010)
Kathi,

A question I have is this about removing BUILTIN\Administrators from Security->Logins on SQL Server [2005] instance.

If I remove this account from Logins, but the domain users remain as Local\Administrator on the box where SS instance is, are the users able to login the instance and remain a sysadmin? I would assume unless you add their domain users account directly to Logins, then NO, but just wanted to check.

Thanks,

Zee - Atlanta
Accidental DBA

Zee,
Only the logins enumerated in the sysadmin server role will have sysadmin access so if Local\Administrator is not listed then you are good to go.

EXEC sp_helpsrvrolemember 'sysadmin'

I do have to ask (or rather you should ask yourself) why would "Domain users" need any administrator rights? Especially local.

John D

Post #870547
Posted Monday, February 22, 2010 11:33 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 12:47 AM
ZeeAtl (2/22/2010)
Kathi,

Thanks,

Zee - Atlanta
Accidental DBA

No, you'll first have to add them to your sqlinstances sysadmin role.

Your assumption is correct.

Johan

Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

"press F1 for solution", "press shift+F1 for urgent solution"

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me
Post #870586
Posted Monday, February 22, 2010 12:29 PM
Valued Member

Kathi,

While we are on the topic of SQL Server instance Logins, I have another question.

My SSIS service Logins for two separate SQL Server instances are set to:
NT AUTHORITY\Network Service

Can I change this service Login to a plain domain user account as well? Any special Group Policy properties required for SSIS execution (that are automatically set for Network Service built-in account)?

I'd like to change this as well to get that out of the Logins for the server.

Thanks,

Zee

Post #870635
Posted Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:36 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:56 AM
from SQL 2005, I found that the most safe method is to create one more account with sysadmin righ t and then deny the access of builtin\Administrator account to SQL server 2005. Don't know why SQL do'nt allow to remove it directly but has to grant deny first.

Then login using the new login and delete it.

DBA100

Post #903895
Posted Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:35 AM
Valued Member

Kathi,

What is the deny step for BuiltIn\Administrators (T-SQL), or SSMS? Can you give me
specific example of what you've done?

Thanks,

Zee,
Atlanta
Post #907770
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse