Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Cluster not failing over after adding physical disk Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:16 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:00 PM
Problem: Cluster not failing over after adding physical disk
Specs:
Server 2003
SQL 2005
Nodes: Active/Active, two node cluster each with an instance installed
Node1 has group A
Node2 has group B
Recent Event: I added a Physical Disk resource to group B on node 2 of the cluster

Story: I recently added a physical disk resource to group B on node 2 of a two node cluster. We are patching the servers and moved group A from node1 to node2, restarted node1 and moved group A back from node 2 to node 1.

An issue occurred when moving group B from node 2 to node 1. What happens is that the resources, SQL, IP… start moving over to node1 then the disk I just added fails and the whole group B moves back to node 2 (Fail Back).

I checked all the setting of the disk resource and they match perfectly with the others.

What I noticed is in computer management --disk manager of node 1 I do not see the disks for node2.

More specifically, in node 2 disk manager I can see all the local disk and the disks for node 1. The disk for node 1 are marked unreachable and have a red x. On node 1 I cannot see the disks for node 2 in the same way. I am only seeing the local disks on that node.

Another thing I noticed is that disk Manager on both nodes show a Disk 2

I rescanned disks on both server and still no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff
Post #1534766
Posted Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:06 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

More information:

I am in Node 2 in Computer Management, but this time SAN Disk Manager and under Disks I do not see the disk that is failing during a Move Group operation.

On node one all the disks are listed but node two does not have the disk that I just added.

Could this be my trouble.

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff
Post #1534838
Posted Monday, January 27, 2014 6:08 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:57 AM
Once you add the new disks you must add them as a dependency to the SQL Server service cluster resource, this will require a restart of the clustered service

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1534960
Posted Monday, January 27, 2014 7:53 AM
SSC Journeyman

I did add the resource as a dependency to SQL Server Service, but have not yet restarted the "Cluster Service" on that node.

I will give it a try tonight after hours and let you know what happens.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff
Post #1535022
Posted Monday, January 27, 2014 8:33 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

jayoub (1/27/2014)
I did add the resource as a dependency to SQL Server Service, but have not yet restarted the "Cluster Service" on that node.

I will give it a try tonight after hours and let you know what happens.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Please run the following from a command prompt on the server and post results

cluster node

cluster res

Take the new disks resource name from cluster res and put into the following

cluster res "disk resource name" /listowners

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1535048
Posted Monday, January 27, 2014 11:39 AM
SSC Journeyman

Cluster res
Resource Group Node Status
Disk L: GroupsharePoint Z010 online
Disk M: GroupsharePoint Z010 online
SQL Network Name (SQLSHAREPOINT) GroupsharePoint Z010 online
SQL IP Address 1 (SQLSHAREPONT) GroupsharePoint Z010 online
SQL Server (SHAREPOINT) GroupsharePoint Z010 online
SQL Server Agent (SHAREPOINT) GroupsharePoint Z010 online
SQL Server Fulltext (SHAREPOINT) GroupsharePoint Z010 online
Disk J: GroupDisco Z009 online
Disk S: GroupDisco Z009 online
SQL Network Name (SQLVIRTUAL) GroupDISCOMP Z009 online
SQL IP Address 1 (SQLVIRTUAL) GroupDISCOMP Z009 online
SQL Server (DISCOMP) GroupDISCOMP Z009 online
Disk T: GroupDISCOMP Z009 online
NEWDB (this is a disk) GroupDISCOMP Z009 online
Disk K: GroupDISCOMP Z009 online
SQL Server Agent (DISCOMP) GroupDISCOMP Z009 online
SQL Server Fulltext (DISCOMP) GroupDISCOMP Z009 online
Cluster IP Address Cluster Group Z009 online
Cluster Name Cluster Group Z009 online
Disk Q: Cluster Group Z009 online
MSDTC Cluster Group Z009 online
Disk O: (problem disk) GroupsharePoint Z010 online

Cluster Node
Node NodeID Status
Z010 2 UP
Z009 1 UP

Cluster res "Disk O:" /listowners
Z010
Z009

Jeff
Post #1535140
Posted Monday, January 27, 2014 11:44 AM
SSC Journeyman

I just found out that the SAN Admin provisioned the disk to only the one node Z010 and did not include the other node Z009 in the storage software. The other drives have both hosts listed and probably this is the cause of the problem.

I will restart the cluster services or even the whole box tonight and check it and let you know.

I provided the information as best i could. I had to retype the whole thing and the formatting did not come out in a nice way.

Thank you very much

Jeff
Post #1535146
Posted Monday, January 27, 2014 12:26 PM

SSCertifiable

jayoub (1/27/2014)
I just found out that the SAN Admin provisioned the disk to only the one node Z010 and did not include the other node Z009 in the storage software.

Thats your problem right there

Post #1535162
Posted Monday, January 27, 2014 4:29 PM
SSC Journeyman

Still no luck. I rebooted the server and tried the move and it was the same results.

I still feel like the SAN Admin has not provisoned the drive correctly. I have done the job before with another SAN admin and it went without a hitch

In computer Management there is a folder called SAN Disk Manager and the trouble drive is not listed there. All other drives are listed and working. I have a feeling that there is more to the provisioning process that must be done.

I will keep trying and let you know what happens. I may have to start digging into the SAN myself and see. Sometimes a second set of eyes can spot something.

Thanks

Jeff
Post #1535256
Posted Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:02 AM

SSCertifiable

jayoub (1/27/2014)
Still no luck. I rebooted the server and tried the move and it was the same results.

I still feel like the SAN Admin has not provisoned the drive correctly. I have done the job before with another SAN admin and it went without a hitch

In computer Management there is a folder called SAN Disk Manager and the trouble drive is not listed there. All other drives are listed and working. I have a feeling that there is more to the provisioning process that must be done.

I will keep trying and let you know what happens. I may have to start digging into the SAN myself and see. Sometimes a second set of eyes can spot something.

Thanks

Its easy to get the IDs wrong and leave a device masked, i have experienced this in the past

Post #1535461
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse