Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

SSAS Deployment Utility Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:52 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:05 AM
I don't disagree with you in general and that's the way I've worked in the past. I think it is a situation peculiar to my current place of work where everything gets deployed using a one-click approach - a .MSI file that runs all the deployment utilities under the covers. This is probably because there is no DBA (yes, you read that right ) and so they want as little manual involvement as possible.

Andrew Notarian (1/30/2014)

At this exact moment I am working on the best way to deal with configuration changes from environment to environment so that the compiled ETL code (i.e. the DTSX files) can remain the same with only the config changes.

If you are using SQL 2012 you can do this using Environments, Environment Variables and Parameters. If you're using 2005/2008 then Package Configurations are the way to go.

Regards
Lempster
Post #1536299
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:58 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:30 PM
MSI makes sense for file & registry updates, but are you running SQL updates that way too? Yikes. It sounds like a nice idea but must take a lot of work.
Post #1536305
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:19 AM
SSCrazy

Andrew Notarian (1/30/2014)
...Yikes. It sounds like a nice idea but must take a lot of work.

It does.

Edit: changed 'is' to 'does'
Post #1536336
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:45 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:12 PM
Dude, I really feel for you getting put through the ringer like that.
Post #1536432
Posted Friday, January 31, 2014 2:13 AM
SSCrazy

sneumersky (1/30/2014)
Dude, I really feel for you getting put through the ringer like that.

Thanks!

I have to be phlegmatic about it and think that at least I'll learn something along the way.
Post #1536671
Posted Monday, March 31, 2014 8:01 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:12 AM
I've tried using the Deployment Utility (not Wizard but Utility) and it seems that it's a complete dud. I agree with OP that I couldn't get anything to work other than /a or answer mode but that's the same thing as running the Deployment Wizard.

If I try to generate a XMLA script for deployment by using the /o or Output mode, nothing happens. I don't get an error or anything but nothing is generated nor is any feedback given. Here is the command that I'm trying to run:

C:\....>Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Deployment.exe C:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\AdventureWorksProject\MyProject\bin /o C:\DeploymentFile.xmla

As per the instructions on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162758.aspx :

- Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Deployment.exe= Deployment Utility executable
- C:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\AdventureWorksProject\MyProject\bin = The directory where the .asdatabase is located
- /o C:\DeploymentFile.xmla = output mode and the location and name of the xmla script that I want to generate

I have all four deployment files in the C:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\AdventureWorksProject\MyProject\bin folder. So can anybody answer the following:

1. Am I missing something here? Why isn't the xmla script being generated?

2. If I want to xmla script to point to a target server/database is this possible through the output mode of Deployment Utility? I mean if I change the deploymenttargets file in the bin folder to point to my desired target, say ServerABC and DatabaseXYZ, upon successful running of the Deployment Utility in output mode, will ServerABC and DatabaseXYZ automatically be the targets in the generated XMLA script?

Thanks
Post #1556480
Posted Tuesday, April 1, 2014 7:28 AM
SSCrazy

TheComedian (3/31/2014)
I've tried using the Deployment Utility (not Wizard but Utility) and it seems that it's a complete dud. I agree with OP that I couldn't get anything to work other than /a or answer mode but that's the same thing as running the Deployment Wizard.

If I try to generate a XMLA script for deployment by using the /o or Output mode, nothing happens. I don't get an error or anything but nothing is generated nor is any feedback given. Here is the command that I'm trying to run:

C:\....>Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Deployment.exe C:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\AdventureWorksProject\MyProject\bin /o C:\DeploymentFile.xmla

As per the instructions on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162758.aspx :

- Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Deployment.exe= Deployment Utility executable
- C:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\AdventureWorksProject\MyProject\bin = The directory where the .asdatabase is located
- /o C:\DeploymentFile.xmla = output mode and the location and name of the xmla script that I want to generate

I have all four deployment files in the C:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\AdventureWorksProject\MyProject\bin folder. So can anybody answer the following:

1. Am I missing something here? Why isn't the xmla script being generated?

2. If I want to xmla script to point to a target server/database is this possible through the output mode of Deployment Utility? I mean if I change the deploymenttargets file in the bin folder to point to my desired target, say ServerABC and DatabaseXYZ, upon successful running of the Deployment Utility in output mode, will ServerABC and DatabaseXYZ automatically be the targets in the generated XMLA script?

Thanks

I don't think you are missing anything - it just doesn't work.
Regarding the target server/database, yes, that is my understanding of how it should work.

As you have experienced the same issue, please vote on Connect - the latest from Microsoft is that they were unable to reproduce the issue.

Regards
Lempster
Post #1556973
Posted Tuesday, April 1, 2014 8:52 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:12 AM
Done; thanks for the reply.

I've talked to some other people and it seems that Deployment Wizard is a lot more popular than Utility; I guess they just don't want to wrestle with it .
Post #1557043
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse