Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Fail sql job if error is encountered in powershell script Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:05 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:08 AM
I have a powershell script that has 2 steps. The script is called by a SQL agent job. If a step fails, it is sending back the error to the job but wasn't actually failing the job. I found if I use "throw", it will fail the job. However if the 1st step fails, then it exits the script. I need it to continue on but still show a job failure regardless if step 2 fails or not. Is that possible?
Post #1531175
Posted Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:22 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:36 AM
How about a try-catch around the first step. Set a variable indicating success or failure, then do step 2, and then throw that variable?

Post #1531270
Posted Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:29 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:08 AM
Thanks for the idea. I didn't use try-catch since I used -errorvariable in my statement, so instead of calling the throw right after the error occurrs, I waited until the end and checked all errorvariables and called the throw then if they weren't NULL. That was simple. Thanks!
Post #1531338
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse