Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SQL Server Troubleshooting Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:33 PM
All of us have probably encountered generic error messages while looking through the SQL Server logs. I was wondering if anyone had written, in a single white paper, the top ten errors that will usually be network related, the top ten errors that will usually be storage related, the top ten errors that will usually be OS related, and ways to troubleshoot/diagnose these as such with relevant information to be given to your SAN/Network/Windows buddies? Obviously, the actual network/SAN/Windows implementations that we use will influence what errors we receive, but I was wondering if there are specific errors everyone encounters from time to time?
Post #1529932
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 2:15 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 8:23 AM
PrometheusRising (1/10/2014)
All of us have probably encountered generic error messages while looking through the SQL Server logs. I was wondering if anyone had written, in a single white paper, the top ten errors that will usually be network related, the top ten errors that will usually be storage related, the top ten errors that will usually be OS related, and ways to troubleshoot/diagnose these as such with relevant information to be given to your SAN/Network/Windows buddies? Obviously, the actual network/SAN/Windows implementations that we use will influence what errors we receive, but I was wondering if there are specific errors everyone encounters from time to time?

It has been my experience in 15 years of consulting on SQL Server that the vast majority of stuff you need to deal with, fix, improve, etc. with SQL Server is NOT logged or represented in any way in the error logs.

To answer your question directly I have never come across such a document or blog post.

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1529973
Posted Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:48 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 3:23 PM
No, nor I. Most of the stuff in the error log is pretty self-explanatory and not usually vague. But, if you are looking for a good getting started book on troubleshooting, Troubleshooting for the Accidental DBA is a great resource.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1530109
Posted Sunday, January 12, 2014 11:06 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 4:24 PM
TheSQLGuru (1/10/2014)
It has been my experience in 15 years of consulting on SQL Server that the vast majority of stuff you need to deal with, fix, improve, etc. with SQL Server is NOT logged or represented in any way in the error logs.

+1 BILLION!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1530128
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse