Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Sabbatical Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, January 10, 2014 10:24 AM
If there's a trade or craft that you are interested in, find a willing "master" and do an intensive 6 week apprenticeship.
Or, help Habitat for Humanity build one house - or help in 6 different "blitz builds".
Or learn beer brewing.
Post #1529315
Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:38 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:49 AM
I'm puzzled by those of us who have, in essence, said 'take a sabbatical so you can learn more work-related stuff.'

Go build houses, Steve... Habitat for Humanity or any other community outreach program would love to have you for a while. And that kind of hard work is DEFINITELY its own reward.

Post #1529320
Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:41 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:57 AM
If I had a six week sabbatical, I would take a six week course a local college offers in jazz.

Tom
Post #1529322
Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:46 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 10:56 AM
Get your ham radio license and build an Elecraft K2: http://www.elecraft.com/k2_page.htm (Also Colorado needs more emergency response folks, take a class.)

Take some chef courses and challenge Sean McCown to a mystery basket cook-off at the next PASS Summit.

Post #1529324
Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:49 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Today @ 6:31 AM
How about helping out at a local non-profit.
Or one that I have been looking at, volunteering to help teach computer skills to people, say at a shelter, or half-way house.
Post #1529325
Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:28 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 7:03 AM
I think it's less about what you do and more about what you don't do. Let go of technology for a while and let go of work responsibilities. I spent a summer off and did no one big thing, I relaxed and did more with the kids and enjoyed the luxury of having free time to use as I pleased. Nothing wrong with having a goal or two, but don't make it into a race or something that if you don't get done the break feels like a failure.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1529336
Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:39 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 7:19 AM
I think it's awesome that your company is giving you an opportunity to have a sabbatical.

How about crafts, such as sewing, jewelry making, woodworking, etc.? It's even something you could do with your children if they're not too young. I recently took a day off from work to take a pen turning class and I really enjoyed it. Now I have to buy a lathe in order to make more pens...

If I got the opportunity to have a sabbatical, I'd probably do some combination of crafts, learn the trumpet - using my husband's trumpet that has been neglected since grade school, and exercise a lot more.

Post #1529341
Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:48 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:06 AM
chrisn-585491 (1/9/2014)
Get your ham radio license and build an Elecraft K2: http://www.elecraft.com/k2_page.htm (Also Colorado needs more emergency response folks, take a class.)

Do this! Ham Radio is something you can enjoy anywhere you go! :) I would encourage you to learn Morse code while you are at it...

--... ...--
-.- -... --... .--. .--. .-..
Post #1529345
Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:54 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 8:23 AM
Congratulations, Steve, the achieving 5 years with Red Gate, and thus being able to take a sabbatical! I've never worked at a company that offers its employees sabbaticals, so I can't advise you. I wish you all the best in figuring out what to do!

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1529348
Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 8:22 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 6:55 AM
Based on your questions, role, and employer, you might want to try something customer facing. You could choose to identify and aggregate groups of database users by some important dimensions. The universe of data base professionals probably lumps together based on specific needs, trends, and business type. It would be helpful to everyone to describe customer sets so your organization could focus it's efforts on important topics.... maybe by segment.

Just a thought.
Post #1529362
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse