Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

DBAs Need to Learn to Develop Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:17 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/7/2014)
Jeff Moden (1/6/2014)
Considering the "DBAs" that I've interviewed in the last six months, I'd say they shouldn't take the time learning more about development... they should first learn how to be a bloody DBA.

For sure, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't also learn development skills after.

Heh... for the one's that I've interviewed recently, there apparently isn't room in the cranial cavity.

Sorry... I'm just bitchin' because of the candidates I've had to interview. Keeps me from breakin' stuff.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1528667
Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:11 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 11:59 AM
Jeff Moden (1/7/2014)
eccentricDBA (1/7/2014)
I agree that a DBA should learn how to develop. At the very least they should learn how to use a scripting language (dos batch, bash, cscript, vbscript, perl, powershell). The goal of a DBA is to have a consistent repeatable environment and having the ability to write enough code to automate that process only helps to make you a better DBA.

You left out the most important scripting language of them all for a DBA... T-SQL. I'm shocked and mortified at the number of people that have "DBA" on their resume that can't do a simple joined update.

What about a simple joined select? I wonder how their databases worked.

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1528668
Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 3:36 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:34 AM
I agree. I think I'm a much better DBA due to my development background (COBOL/MVS (ahhh!) and .NET) than I otherwise would be if I had just got out of school and started working as a junior DBA moving code changes in and out of production and managing jobs, etc.. I've also worked help desk and network administration (where I was recruited out of) that I believe has helped to inform my system perspective immeasurably.

I don't generally see developers as the problem. Maybe the Entity Framework... sorry Lerman... I think most of the responsibility can usually be laid at management's feet when they won't invest in training and development. This is part art and science as well as a practice and some things are best learned the hard(er) way then solely out of a book. Besides talent, the best DBA's I know also have a lot of experience. Management should aggressively foster that talent and offer opportunities that expose them to different aspects of the system whenever possible. I think spending time on both sides of the fence can help you better identify decision points where you or someone else may be coupling the data too tightly to the application and where the best trade-offs are.
Post #1528704
Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:20 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Luis Cazares (1/7/2014)
Jeff Moden (1/7/2014)
eccentricDBA (1/7/2014)
I agree that a DBA should learn how to develop. At the very least they should learn how to use a scripting language (dos batch, bash, cscript, vbscript, perl, powershell). The goal of a DBA is to have a consistent repeatable environment and having the ability to write enough code to automate that process only helps to make you a better DBA.

You left out the most important scripting language of them all for a DBA... T-SQL. I'm shocked and mortified at the number of people that have "DBA" on their resume that can't do a simple joined update.

What about a simple joined select? I wonder how their databases worked.

Spot on. They didn't do so well there, either.

I suspect these folks had nothing to do with the actual data/databases. It would appear that most of them survived by using 3rd party tools to do their backups, etc, and were artful dodgers in avoiding doing any real DBA work.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1528717
Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:51 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 12:39 PM
Jeff Moden (1/7/2014)

I don't do them every day, and do them in both Access/JET and T-SQL so the syntax has just enough differences that I may have to google the syntax after a few weeks of not developing. But I can do it.

Select queries with joins are a breeze though.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1528724
Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 12:45 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:36 PM
Jeff Moden (1/7/2014)
eccentricDBA (1/7/2014)

Jeff,
You are absolutely right. I did forget T-SQL, the most powerfull of all languages when working with databases. Unless you are working with the DB that shall not be named then it would be PL\SQL.

I really want to go on a rant here about n-tier and ORMs but I'm going to save it for someone else.

A great craftsman knows his/her tools and knows who to use the appropriate tool, language, for the problem at hand.

What's the saying? "If all you have is a hammer every things a nail".

--Carlton
Post #1529528
Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:35 PM

SSC-Dedicated

eccentricDBA (1/9/2014)
What's the saying? "If all you have is a hammer every things a nail".
--Carlton

The problem is that a lot of people keep going to the store in the next state to buy a new type of hammer for the same old problems. There are some things that ya just gotta use a hammer for.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1529570
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse