Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

DBAs Need to Learn to Develop Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 8:41 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item DBAs Need to Learn to Develop

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1528306
Posted Monday, January 6, 2014 8:47 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 5:19 PM
Considering the "DBAs" that I've interviewed in the last six months, I'd say they shouldn't take the time learning more about development... they should first learn how to be a bloody DBA.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1528309
Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:51 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:52 PM
There are too many people in the technical side of IT who do not have a foundation in IT knowledge. We should all understand binary, logic, declarative programming, functional programming, distributed systems etc. The level of understanding depends upon what role(s) we need to perform but we must all have a broad understanding of the basics.

Oh, and Jeff, too true

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1528375
Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:08 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 7:13 AM
Absolutely all Developers should have a clear understanding of primary and foreign keys and the idea of relationships between tables and how the differences between different query types. ( I used to take this as given )

Likewise DBAs would benefit from a solid understanding of how FKIDs work in things like Combi Boxes and how subtle changes in UI design can massively improve the usability of their databases and how often users need multiple views of the same information. Also how important it is to the user of responsive design.

We've recently bought a system and when you edit a record it performs a delete and create ON the SQL record wiping the PKID on the header record. A complete pain in the a*** this is designed in through lack of forethought by the developer. Technically its not an error its just the wrong design. They just assumed we were never going to try and relate that record to another table.
Post #1528427
Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 6:43 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:18 PM
Dalkeith (1/7/2014)
Absolutely all Developers should have a clear understanding of primary and foreign keys and the idea of relationships between tables and how the differences between different query types. ( I used to take this as given )

DBAs would benefit from a solid understanding of how FKIDs work in things like Combi Boxes and how subtle changes in UI design can massively improve the usability of their databases and how often users need multiple views of the same information. Also how important it is to the user of response design.

We've recently bought a system and when you edit a record it performs a delete and create ON the SQL record wiping the PKID on the header record. A complete pain in the A*** this is designed in through lack of forethougth by the developer. Technically its not an error its just the wrong design. They just assumed we were never going to try and relate that record to another table.

I've seen a few systems that do things like that. More often than not it comes from an ORM approach with a developer not wanting to understand database development
Post #1528456
Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:26 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Gary Varga (1/7/2014)
There are too many people in the technical side of IT who do not have a foundation in IT knowledge. We should all understand binary, logic, declarative programming, functional programming, distributed systems etc. The level of understanding depends upon what role(s) we need to perform but we must all have a broad understanding of the basics.

Oh, and Jeff, too true

Ohhhh... don't get me started. You said "binary" and "logic". I think that Computer Science and similar degrees should require folks to take a "hand assembled machine language programming" course in the first year and be bounced from the program if they don't get at least a 3.5. They should also have to "three five" a course in technical writing and communication skills.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1528517
Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:12 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 11:42 AM
I think that a DBA can benefit significanlty having developer skills much like I think a developer can benefit significantly having DBA skills. I do however believe strongly that they should be more focussed on their actual role and use the ansillary skills as a perk\benefit not a dependency. You can always interact better with other folks if you can understand their perspective a bit.

I would be lost without the small dev abilities I have.

I do however think that more emphasis should be placed on communication, troubleshooting and research. A certified DBA has proven one thing to me. They can read and recite a book. While I know some will find that comment insulting, that is all that is required to pass a test. Now that does not mean that all certified DBAs read a book to take the test. Some may have adequate experience only to be able to pass however that is likely slim. Certifying on a platform validates that you have a baseline of knowledge to improve upon your skills of troubleshooting, research and communication. A quality DBA can be more nimble with better skills at learning and reacting to new situations on the fly than knowing a discreet list of answers. Development skills simply build the portfolio of background abilities and though processes.
Post #1528539
Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:14 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 8:41 PM
Jeff Moden (1/6/2014)
Considering the "DBAs" that I've interviewed in the last six months, I'd say they shouldn't take the time learning more about development... they should first learn how to be a bloody DBA.

For sure, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't also learn development skills after.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1528541
Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:23 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 2:44 PM
I agree that a DBA should learn how to develop. At the very least they should learn how to use a scripting language (dos batch, bash, cscript, vbscript, perl, powershell). The goal of a DBA is to have a consistent repeatable environment and having the ability to write enough code to automate that process only helps to make you a better DBA.
Post #1528574
Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:05 PM

SSC-Dedicated

eccentricDBA (1/7/2014)
I agree that a DBA should learn how to develop. At the very least they should learn how to use a scripting language (dos batch, bash, cscript, vbscript, perl, powershell). The goal of a DBA is to have a consistent repeatable environment and having the ability to write enough code to automate that process only helps to make you a better DBA.

You left out the most important scripting language of them all for a DBA... T-SQL. I'm shocked and mortified at the number of people that have "DBA" on their resume that can't do a simple joined update.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1528664
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse