Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Difference between two date/times and flag each hour in between Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:20 AM
cs_source (1/3/2014)
Thank you dwain.c, i'm working through the query now to under stand it (pretty complicated :)

hi Chris.m below is the sample data as well as my expected output (sorry i should have provided this earlier)

Thanks! Yes that's great. It makes things so much easier.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1527555
Posted Friday, January 3, 2014 8:27 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

;WITH 
[4] AS (SELECT n = 0 FROM (VALUES (0), (0), (0), (0)) d (n)),
[16] AS (SELECT n = 0 FROM [4] a, [4] b),
[256] AS (SELECT n = 0 FROM [16] a, [16] b),
[65536] AS (SELECT n = 0 FROM [256] a, [256] b),
iTally AS (SELECT n = ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY (SELECT NULL))-1 FROM [65536] a, [16] b)

SELECT a.visit_date, a.vin, a.make, x.Hour_in_service
FROM #sampleA a
CROSS APPLY (
SELECT TOP (1 + DATEDIFF(hour, a.enter_datetime, a.depart_datetime))
Hour_in_service = DATEPART(HOUR,DATEADD(hour,n,a.enter_datetime))
FROM iTally t
) x

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Post #1527565
Posted Friday, January 3, 2014 8:59 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:55 AM
okay, wow well thank you all for your queries, i learnt something new with each one, the last query outputs the data in the format i'm exactly looking for :) so thank you,

2 quick questions:

1 - if i want the visit date reflected with the date the hours fall under is that another query where i update the table that this data will go into?

2 - breaking down the query so i understand it more, whats going on is:

creating 4 cte tables
populating them with ascending integers
select the data and cross apply
its the second half of the query that i'm trying to wrap my head around:

-- This gets the difference in hours for each enter/depart time and top 1 signals ?? when i remove the 1 i lose a record when i add the 1 i gain a record

-- a little confused here how n plays a role with the enter time
FROM iTally t
Post #1527592
Posted Friday, January 3, 2014 9:59 AM

SSCertifiable

cs_source (1/3/2014)
okay, wow well thank you all for your queries, i learnt something new with each one, the last query outputs the data in the format i'm exactly looking for :) so thank you,

You're welcome

2 quick questions:

1 - if i want the visit date reflected with the date the hours fall under is that another query where i update the table that this data will go into?

Easiest way to answer this is if you can post it as expected output. A picture tells etc etc

2 - breaking down the query so i understand it more, whats going on is:

creating 4 cte tables

CTE's aren't tables. They're more or less views built on the fly, kinda like macro's.

populating them with ascending integers
select the data and cross apply
its the second half of the query that i'm trying to wrap my head around:

-- This gets the difference in hours for each enter/depart time and top 1 signals ?? when i remove the 1 i lose a record when i add the 1 i gain a record

-- a little confused here how n plays a role with the enter time
FROM iTally t

Have a look at Jeff's Tally Tables article, currently on the hotlist.

Edited to fix tags

Post #1527634
Posted Friday, January 17, 2014 9:29 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

hi again,

i dont mean to bump this thread up again but the output was great for the use and additional scope has been added. To use a graphing tool that we have (to display the data) i need to get the data into a single column based on which column has a value entered

example

hour_detail| hour1| hour2|hour3| hour4| hour5
5 | 0| 0| 0| 0| 5
2 | 0| 2| 0| 0| 0
3 | 0| 0| 3| 0| 0
1 | 1| 0| 0| 0| 0
4 | 0| 0| 0| 4| 0

I thought about create a massive case statement but i dont think that was correct, i also look at Coalesce but i think have too man columns to preform this as well as i have 0's and not nulls ? I have 23 columns across.

what is some advice on how i can proceed to do this?
Post #1532133
Posted Friday, January 17, 2014 9:47 AM

SSCertifiable

This looks like the output from a CROSSTAB query. If so, you would normally aggregate across whatever the partition is and use MAX() on each column value. Post your query if you are unsure.

Post #1532146
Posted Friday, August 15, 2014 1:29 PM
SSC Rookie

Hi ChrisM@work and others!

It seems that the output from this query was great for the customers and now they are asking to expand it and once again i would like to ask for assistance.

The query does a great job of tracking the hours between two dates so i can capture at which hours a car was serviced in the day. The answer to my question (was answered by ChrisM@Work, thank you sir) works great and now i need it expanded into listing days along with the hours.

Data Example:
Mazda
In Shop Date: 2014-07-01
In Shop Time: 22:00
Out Shop Date: 2014-07-02
Out Shop Time: 03:00

This output would look as follows:

date |h0|h1|h2|h3|h4|h5|h6|h7|h8|h9|h10|h11|h12|h13|h14|h15|h16|h17|h18|h19|h20|h21|h22|h23
2014-07-01 1
2014-07-01 1
2014-07-02 1
2014-07-02 1
2014-07-02 1

The code that i have used again was:
;WITH
[4] AS (SELECT n = 0 FROM (VALUES (0), (0), (0), (0)) d (n)),
[16] AS (SELECT n = 0 FROM [4] a, [4] b),
[256] AS (SELECT n = 0 FROM [16] a, [16] b),
[65536] AS (SELECT n = 0 FROM [256] a, [256] b),
[4294967296] AS (SELECT n = 0 FROM [65536] a, [65536] b),
iTally AS (SELECT n = ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY (SELECT NULL))-1 FROM [4294967296] a, [16] b)
INSERT INTO Shop_log
(visit_date
,h0
,h1
...etc)
SELECT
??? <- field i am trying to capture (before it was just the In Shop Date but the records would show same date)
,h0
,h1
..etc
from CARS a
CROSS APPLY (
SELECT TOP (1+ DATEDIFF(hour, a.In_Shop_Date, a.Out_Shop_Date))
Hour_in_service = DATEPART(HOUR,DATEADD(hour,n,a.In_Shop_Date))
FROM iTally t
) x

Much appreciated
Post #1603853
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse