Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Login failure for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON' Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:44 AM
Would someone help with error message that a developer kept getting when editing some custom made stored procedures and trying to execute them.

Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Line 1
Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.

I googled it and some sugest that to create user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON' and give execute access to it on these stored procedures and I did and still does not work. Some suggest to also modify the registry by entering a key in the Lsa "TurnOffAnonymousBlock" with a value of 1 and reboot the server. I did that and still does not work.

I don't know what else to do. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Post #1523177
Posted Monday, December 16, 2013 6:21 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 6:32 AM
look at the stored procedure in question...i'd bet it is referencing a linked server. the login is failing at the linked server because whoever is calling it doesn't have mapped credentials set up.

accessing a linked server is probably being blocked by how it is set up; it's probably set up witht eh radio button below that says "be made without a security context"

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1523182
Posted Monday, December 16, 2013 6:28 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Thanks very much for replying. I have used the sa account by logging as the sa and try to execute the stored procedure and still does not work. I have realized, it does not matter what user is used, it is problematic and that is what puzzled me about this.
Post #1523187
Posted Monday, December 16, 2013 6:50 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 6:32 AM
whoops i cross posted from anotehr post;
can you show us /script out your linked server?
that would help us diagnose the issue for you.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1523195
Posted Monday, December 16, 2013 1:27 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 9:05 AM
Check the Login failure error from sql error log and identify the status there after.

This may help
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/aaron_bertrand/archive/2011/01/14/sql-server-v-next-denali-additional-states-for-error-18456.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2006/02/21/536201.aspx
Post #1523413
Posted Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:11 AM
SSC Rookie

Hi Lowell,

You were right on the money. It was the linked server remote userd on the other side (in Europe) that did not have the right access. That user was mapped as "public". After I called the DBA in Europe to map that remote linked server user with read access to the proper database, all was fine.

Thanks very much for your help, it was very much appreciated. Kudos to you.

Regards,
Reynold
Post #1524085
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse