Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Cannot open backup device '\\remotesqlserver\e$\Backup\databasename.bak'. Operating system error 53(The network path was not found.). Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:02 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, December 16, 2013 1:13 AM
Hi, all of a sudden my backup job failed with the error.

Cannot open backup device '\\remotesqlserver\e$\Backup\databasename.bak'. Operating system error 53(The network path was not found.).

1. The path does exist (meaning there's no typo error) tho i can't reach \\remotesqlserver outside sqlserver on my system and also i can ping the remote server.
2. I have made the Backup folder on the remote server a shared folder for 'Everyone' and it still didn't help
3. The Sql Server and Sql Agent service account are the same and its an Administrator tho i don't know if it has access to the remote server or the backup folder. It should right?

So please help! and if there are any more checks i need to run kindly let me know, i'm new to this. Tnx in advance.

Post #1522324
Posted Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:24 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:47 AM
You're connecting to the E$ administrative share on remotesqlserve, which is only available to local admins. Assuming your Backup folder is shared as Backup, use this path:
\\remotesqlserver\Backup\databasename.bak

John
Post #1522334
Posted Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:28 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 8:48 AM
It's either permissions or the path changed. If you can connect to this path still from your system, then you have a permissions issue. Perhaps a password changed? It might be that the password was the same for both sides in a workgroup-type setting for the adminstrator account (or other account). If you have a domain account for SQL Server (service), then check permissions.

Typically the admin shares aren't used for this because they can require some permissions you don't want to give, or need. Create a normal share and assign permissions.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1522336
Posted Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:43 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

hi John,

I have tried as you've suggested (\\remotesqlserver\Backup\databasename.bak) but it still didnt work...
Post #1522347
Posted Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:46 AM
Grasshopper

Hi Steve,
I'm not able to connect to the remote server\folder on my system and its not a password issue becoz the password have changed. I'm currently logged into the remote server.
Post #1522349
Posted Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:48 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Same error message?

Can you map a drive to that folder from your desktop? The (original) error message was that the network path isn't found, so I would start by checking the path. Is remotesqlserver the actual name of the server, or a DNS alias? Is the Backup folder shared under the name Backup?

John
Post #1522350
Posted Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:58 AM
Grasshopper

In order for me to map a drive to a folder ii have to be able to access that folder and in which case i can't. And the name i'm using is
\\BRANCHSERVER2\e$\Backup\databasename.bak

\\BRANCHSERVER2 is that actual name of the server not an alias and the Backup folder is the name of the backup destination folder and the share name
Post #1522358
Posted Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:01 AM

SSCertifiable

Don't use the administrative share. Can you map a drive to \\BRANCHSERVER2\Backup?

John
Post #1522359
Posted Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:07 AM
Grasshopper

No i cant. error message displays when i try to access using \\BRANCHSERVER2\Backup
Post #1522361
Posted Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:17 AM

SSCertifiable

That's your answer. There's a problem with the share, nothing to do with SQL Server. Maybe there's a firewall in front of the server? Perhaps the share is set up only to allow a certain number of concurrent connections? If you don't get anywhere on your own with this, you'll need to speak to your Windows admin.

John
Post #1522369
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse