Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

What role do you need to install security updates? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:43 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:10 AM
Supposed I am using an account in the BUILT-IN\Administrators group. That account has no explicit role defined in SQL Server.

If I want to give that account enough privilege to install security updates, do I need to give that account sysadmin role as well?
Post #1521559
Posted Tuesday, December 10, 2013 9:35 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 4:52 PM
Check out this document:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638062(v=sql.100).aspx
but this is the quote you are looking for:
SQL Server 2008 updates must be installed under an account that has administrative privileges on the computer where they will be installed.

Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008
Follow me on twitter: @keith_tate

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1521576
Posted Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:02 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 4:57 AM
To clarify what Keith is saying: to install security updates, you don't need any permissions in SQL Server at all, only in Windows.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se
Post #1521706
Posted Monday, December 16, 2013 4:25 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 2:46 AM
If you start talking about SQL Server Service Packs, Cumulative Updates and Hotfixes, then you need authorities in both Windows and SQL Server. This also applies to Security Updates that affect SQL Server - fortunately on average we only get one of these each year as most Security Updates do not affect SQL Server.

However, most sites will apply SQL Server updates separately to Windows updates and often use a different account for each type of update. It is considered best practice to run these types of update separately.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 28 July 2014: now over 30,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1523150
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse