Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Antivirus on large SQL Server instances Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 4, 2013 4:08 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 5:35 AM
For PCI DSS purposes we had to run A/V on SQL Servers, but with it configured in such a way with the exclusions on them, it never caused any performance issues.
Post #1519553
Posted Wednesday, December 4, 2013 7:20 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
Luke L (12/2/2013)
Jeff thanks for checking into it. I'm curious how he handles that problem in other ways.

Me too! I hoping that he doesn't somehow think that he's simply made his server secure enough to not need it. My feeling even if it's a stand alone machine that's not attached to any network (when's the last time you saw an SQL Server in THAT configuration?), you at least need to check any CD's or DVD's that you may use on the server for upgrades, etc.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1519623
Posted Thursday, December 5, 2013 9:08 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:59 AM
Jeff Moden (12/2/2013)

Wow! I talked with that DBA ... and he doesn't run any form of anti-virus on them. I didn't have the time to talk with him at any great length about it but he said that he's not concerned because he's taken care of that problem in some other fashion.

He's crazy?

FYI, I feel like a piker, but I do know that Sophos works fine on a quarter-terabyte of RAM and with realtime scanning with the usual mdf, ndf, ldf, bak, trn, etc. etc. exclusions for data files, log files, and backup files.

I would NOT ever exclude an executable, including sqlserver.exe - what if sqlserver.exe gets infected? What if some does
copy StealingYourData.exe sqlserver.exe

sqlserver.exe is also so small it shouldn't matter - it can be scanned whenever.
Post #1520166
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse