Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Visitor Parking Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:22 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:07 PM
Todd Townley (11/27/2013)
...I watched people start to gather at the window to see what would happen...

I find interesting the impact on productivity that the current policy is having. All employees in the building are notified that there is a vehicle under observation, and a deadline for towing. Apparently the towing policy has been selectively enforced, because people gather to see "will they or won't they this time". And depending on the building management's response, it can impact how the employees will view / treat this policy in the future.

And this has happened "several times over the past few months".

This would seem to warrant a policy change to something less intrusive and more consistent.

Of course, the building's management company have no reason to care about the productivity of the staff of the various companies within the building thus the companies should recognise this as an issue for themselves to raise with the building management team as they are the paying customers.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1517995
Posted Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:04 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:17 PM
At my workplace, each employee has registered their license plate number, and if it shows up in the visitor spot, it gets towed. Visitor spots have no time limit (which is a bad rule, because even if you can "solve" a visitor parking issue, why are you trying to create problems for the clients visiting you?).

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1518010
Posted Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:00 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
Another twist, one that I prefer, is park anywhere other than a reserved spot (generally paid for in some form and the vehicle will have some sort of identification). Park in a reserved spot and the vehicle is towed.

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

Post #1518035
Posted Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:59 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:30 PM
Japie Botma (11/27/2013)
I would just change one thing on Jeff's suggestion: Use a wheel clamp instead of towing. In our country it is a cheaper option and if it is a big client that forgot to register, you can solve the issue quickly.

OR.... put the clamp on the customer!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1518062
Posted Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:05 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:54 PM
This one was related to me by my sister just yesterday. She works at a hospital.

The hospital has various parking lots that are open or closed at various times of the day, and some of them will fill up. So one day a Physician's Assistant (PA's are one step down from doctors) had parked in some restricted spot.

She was seeing a patient when security knocks on the door and says she has to move her car now or it will be towed. Normal rules in a hospital are you don't interrupt a patient interaction short of a bomb threat or fire.

She finished seeing the patient. By then they had towed her car. She quit on the spot. And what was worse the hospital didn't care enough to inquire into what happened.
--------------------------------

If I worked for a company that did that to me, or I was a visitor, that company would not hear from me again. In addition I would let everyone know what happened up to and including buying a domain to shame them. Just look at why http://untied.com exists. I'm sure United Airlines regretted their actions at some point.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1518066
Posted Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:05 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:47 PM
Andy Warren (11/26/2013)
Comments posted to this topic are about the item <A HREF="/articles/Editorial/104346/">Visitor Parking</A>

What makes sense for you depends widely on the nature of your business and the scarcity of your parking.

If visitors frequently can't get a spot, then you probably need more enforcement and/or more spaces. And if they are often short visits, 2 hours then tow makes some sense.

But sometimes a place will set a policy like this on general principle, and end up towing a visitor's car when its the only one in the lot.

As Jeff said, you can have people sign in and do away with the time limit. Or (if that is onerous for short visits) some sort of hybrid where you have the 2 hour spots, but a day long visitor can register inside and get access to a 'reserved' space elsewhere.

There's no best practice for something like this. Its all in the details. Some places shouldn't bother with a policy at all. Others can make do with ticketing or even warnings. But some risk losing business or having other problems if this is not enforced.

Post #1518067
Posted Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:53 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
Where I work we have numerous places we are not allowed to park. Most, if not all, of our buildings have patients that come in for treatment. ALL employees must register their license plate and car model. Security is told to watch for rule breakers.

Not too long ago a house keeper, making minimum wage, had her car booted. It costs $75 to have it removed. She was parked in an area where there are no parking lines, but there are no yellow lines warning you away either. We all know not to park there, as it is on a corner curve and increases the chance of accidents.

What pissed off everyone at that works in that building was that upper management parks there all the time. Nobody cares that your title has a "C" in it, or that you are a director, or that you have relatives on the board! People see those people getting away with it every day, and a housekeeper having to pay back a day's wages to get her car back - productivity takes a huge hit!

Also, it seems the only time someone is booted is when Security puts out a reminder about parking rules - and low income workers tend to not have email access at work and don't get the memo.

If you create rules and you don't enforce them for management, all you are doing is costing the company money elsewhere.

Dave
Post #1518085
Posted Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:04 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:37 AM
Hopefully I would have to spend little to no mental energy on this. If the policy is 2 hours and they haven't informed security (or whoever is responsible for this) that they will be there longer... then they will get towed. If it's a customer then I would hope the Sales department is on the ball making sure their client doesn't have a bad day. Hopefully everyone is competent enough to do their part.
Post #1518089
Posted Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:22 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:33 AM
If they don't get a tow they should at least get the boot. You need proper enforcement if the policy is to have legs. Give 'em an inch and they'll take a foot.

sorry
Post #1518094
Posted Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:39 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, July 7, 2014 1:04 PM
Ok, Andy
You said you would tell us what the management company actually decided to do. When are you going to tell us what happened?
Post #1518131
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse