Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Script Concern Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:47 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:49 PM
Hello everyone,
We have a vendor that wants us to run a SQL script on our server. One example within the script:

USE[master]
GO

GRANT EXECUTE ON[sys].[sp_OASetProperty] TO[public]
GO

It includes sp_oasetproperty, sp_OAMethod, sp_OAGetErrorInfo, sp_OADestroy, sp_OAStop, sp_OACreate, sp_OAGetProperty, sp_configure'show advanced options',1 ; and sp_configure'Ole Automation Procedures',1.

My own Googling shows these stored procedures work with the COM object. It was requested I run this script against the master database using a SA account (it's mapped to a few user databases). While that's fine, we have over 30 user databases on this server.

Do I have a concern executing this script? We need to ensure there's no impact to the other databases. Any comments / URLs are appreciated - thanks.
Post #1516121
Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:53 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:30 PM
not to public.

if they need to run sp_Oa*, then only grant it to one specificl role or user/login that will actually need and use it.

depending on what they are actually doing, there probably exists a CLR stored procedure, already out there, to do the same work, but that would require them to change their code to use CLR instead of sp_OaCreate calls(leftover SQL2000 code?)

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1516123
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse