Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.
 
Log in  ::  Register  ::  Not logged in
 
 
 
        
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On


Add to briefcase

Excel export fails for unknown reason Expand / Collapse
Author
Message
Posted Friday, December 17, 2004 5:43 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:38 AM
Points: 5, Visits: 9

Hi all,

I see the following error when exporting a matrix-based report to Excel:

Microsoft Excel File Repair Log Errors were detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Msellar\Desktop\BalanceReport.xls' The following is a list of repairs: Damage to the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible. Excel attempted to recover your formulas and values, but some data may have been lost or corrupted. Excel found errors that may cause some recovered data to be put in the wrong cells. Please check your recovered data carefully.

Similar reports will export fine. Seems to me it could be one of 2 things:

a) Volume of data (it is very large, but not ridiculously so)

b) Too many levels of grouping (effectively 2 grouped columns, 3 grouped rows. Can Excel successfully render 3 levels of grouping ?)

I'm exporting to Excel 2002, SP3. Fully updated.

Thanks in advance... if, as I suspect, I can't get past this I may cut-down my matrix. It is very important that users can see their reports in Excel.




Post #151594
Posted Monday, December 20, 2004 8:00 AM
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
Points: 10,039, Visits: 1
No one has responded to this topic yet. Even if you don't have a complete answer, the original poster will appreciate any thoughts you have!
Post #151798
Posted Tuesday, December 21, 2004 9:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:38 AM
Points: 5, Visits: 9

OK, have experimented with the Northwind dbase, and have a smaller report: 2 column groupings, 3 row groupings. Export to Excel handles this correctly, supplying buttons [1], [2] on the x-axis, [1],[2],[3] on the y-axis.

Find it hard to believe the volume of data is breaking the Excel export. Possibly data types are the root cause ? What might the data limit be anyway ???

(Thanks).




Post #152010
Posted Wednesday, December 22, 2004 8:28 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:18 PM
Points: 4, Visits: 17

Are you running Service Pack 1 on Reporting Services?  I had some trouble with a very basic Excel export a few weeks ago.  After I downloaded SP1 I didn't have any problems at all.

 

Post #152184
Posted Wednesday, December 22, 2004 9:25 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:38 AM
Points: 5, Visits: 9

SP1 had been installed.




Post #152204
Posted Friday, May 13, 2005 6:40 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 6:47 AM
Points: 967, Visits: 450

I also had similar problem with the excel export and I found that when the number of characters in a cell of a matrix is more than 4110 characters this erroneous errors shown on the excel. I donot have a solution yet than to truncate the number characters in the cell in my query.

If anyone has a better idea it would be really helpful.

Thanks

 



Prasad Bhogadi
www.inforaise.com
Post #182206
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse