Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Improving DELETE performance Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:58 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 11:44 AM
Hi,
in a my stored procedure I need to use a DELETE statement and I cannot use the TRUNCATE TABLE.
The table source contains more tens of millions of rows and I need to eliminate some tens of millions of data.
The recovery model of the db is SIMPLE.

The DELETE statement is similar to this:

delete from work.dbo.WRK_FACT
where month >= @I and year = @year

Any ideas to improve the DELETE perfomances?

Thanks
Post #1515684
Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:07 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 5:50 PM
Use a DELETE in batches.
  DECLARE @i int = 1  
WHILE @i > 0
BEGIN
DELETE TOP (1000000) work.dbo.WRK_FACT
SET @i = @@ROWCOUNT
BEGIN END

Or if you have a trigger on the table that might alter @@ROWCOUNT value.
  WHILE EXISTS (  
SELECT TOP 1 1
FROM work.dbo.WRK_FACT
)
BEGIN
DELETE TOP (1000000) work.dbo.WRK_FACT
BEGIN END

Luis C.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Stephen Leacock

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1515687
Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:16 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 11:43 AM
This was discussed just recently.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1511574-3412-1.aspx#bm1511578

If you are deleting more than you are keeping you can populate a duplicate empty table with the rows you want to keep, delete the old table, rename the new table.

I know you said you can't use truncate, but you may wish to reconsider your reasons for not using it when it is the absolute fastest option available. You could populate a temp table with the rows you want to keep, truncate the table, then move the saved transactions from the temp table back to the original table.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
How to Post to get the most: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
Post #1515694
Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:39 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Hi LinksUp,
the batch/bunch approach for deletions rows it is very interesting. I want to avoid to manage a cursor for a such operation.

In my scenario, I need to populate a working table that represents the data source for a SSAS solution: I want to avoid to partition a working table.

In order to SELECT ... INTO, DROP old table and rename the new table, ALTER permissions are necessary.

My working table could countain 100 millions of records: 70 millions of rows could be deleted and maintained 30 millions of rows. In this case, using a temp table to fill is a good solution? However I could need to delete 40 millions of records and maintain 60 millions of records.

Ultimately, the batch approach seems the better solution ..., isn't it?

Thanks
Post #1515793
Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:42 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 11:43 AM
pmscorca (11/19/2013)

Test, test, and test!!

There are a number of techniques to populate a test table with millions of rows in a very short time. Then you can implement the different different scenarios to see which is the fastest, uses the fewest resources, has the best execution plan, etc. . .

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
How to Post to get the most: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
Post #1515795
Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:56 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 5:50 PM
LinksUp (11/19/2013)
pmscorca (11/19/2013)

Test, test, and test!!

There are a number of techniques to populate a test table with millions of rows in a very short time. Then you can implement the different different scenarios to see which is the fastest, uses the fewest resources, has the best execution plan, etc. . .

+1000
When dealing with performance improvements, the only sure way to choose is by testing and testing again after any changes on SQL Server.

Luis C.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Stephen Leacock

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1515802
Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:56 PM
SSC Journeyman

Ok.
However, I can post this article: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20651.delete-huge-amount-of-data-from-a-table.aspx
Post #1515804
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse