Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Dream Jobs Expand / Collapse
Author

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
OCTom (11/15/2013)
I've never thought about having a dream job. I've always looked at jobs as means to other dreams in my life. I earn money in my job so that I can accomplish other life dreams and goals. I've known a few people who have targeted certain dream jobs only to find themselves in nightmares.

Spot on. be careful what you wish for in life.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1514855
Posted Friday, November 15, 2013 3:03 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:50 PM
There are days when the dream job is flipping burgers at McDonals (etc.). Where I want nothing more than just put in myu 8 hours a day and be done with my job. :)

For me I would like being back on the farm. Lots of hard work for sure, but it is different than this. (although some of the equipment on the farm these days would take me days of reading the manuals to figure out how to use the computers!!! Dang things are as advanced as modern aircraft).
Post #1514871
Posted Friday, November 15, 2013 10:13 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:04 PM
At the moment I'm sort of in my dream position. I'm making a decent amount of money; the work conditions are such that we get a free lunch three days a week, we're allowed to have beer (or wine) in the office on Fridays, my hours are currently 9:30 - 6:00 (behind both rushes), I'm going to start telecommuting soon, and I have minimal supervision. My workload has dropped to the point of looking for work.

The company gives bonuses, takes the employees out to events fully on them. The Christmas party is being held in a PGA rated golf clubhouse. And it is no buffet, it will be a served dinner.

About the only thing better would be to hit the lottery.

But this question sort of reminds me of the opening question from a Fidelity Investments retirement introduction. "What do you want to do after work?" That is in reference to when you retire.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1514889
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 5:17 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 9:16 AM
I like the point about dream jobs only being that for a while - we grow and we change and suddenly the dream has been lived, now what? Do we chase the next dream? Or maybe it's not always that way - maybe it's dream career and not dream job?

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1515188
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 5:55 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:41 PM
I had a "dream" job once - working in the server group of a large global manufacturing company.

The thing that made it "dream" for me was working with a highly competent group of people who collaborated well and truly cared about the team's success.

I have enjoyed other jobs too - but this one was "the one".
Post #1515200
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 9:32 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:34 PM
Andy Warren (11/18/2013)
I like the point about dream jobs only being that for a while - we grow and we change and suddenly the dream has been lived, now what? Do we chase the next dream? Or maybe it's not always that way - maybe it's dream career and not dream job?

Andy

I do not know how long you have been in the field but from the experience I have had, once you have the dream job and are established in your career it is possible that other dream jobs may start pursuing you. If you are good people notice, if you are great people will want what you can do and will pay accordingly and treat you well. If you are willing it can be one dream come true after another.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1515287
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 5:10 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 9:16 AM
Miles, that's interesting, I'll think on it.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1515389
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse