Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

clustering- quorum drive Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:52 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:19 AM
We failed over the services to the passive node. In this process quorum has not moved to the passive node although all the resources moved to the other node. Does it will have any affect or is it expected ? Can we move the quorum resource to other node?
Post #1514107
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:41 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 3:04 AM
The clustergroup doesn't failover automatically along with the application groups.

You can safely move this group on to the active cluster. Im not aware of any impact if you don't. Its just a preference.
Post #1514188
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:33 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

MysteryJimbo (11/14/2013)
The clustergroup doesn't failover automatically along with the application groups.

You can safely move this group on to the active cluster. Im not aware of any impact if you don't. Its just a preference.

Thanks Jimbo. But how to move the quorum to the active node. I don't get any option when I right click on the quorum drive for move resource to another node. We are planning to patch the passive node in couple of days. I got the option simulate failure of this resource. This is what we need to do ?

If we restart the node automatically does it move to the active node ? Please advise.
Post #1514314
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:04 AM
SSC-Addicted

I tried it on a test server using the command prompt command. I can move the cluster group but i still see the quorum drive on the passive node only. It's not moving to the active node.
Post #1514338
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:14 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 3:04 AM
Restarting the passive node would do it, but that's overkill.

I use powershell when moving the cluster groups around.

Get-ClusterGroup
Get-ClusterGroup | Move-ClusterGroup
Post #1514342
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:24 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:13 PM
muthyala_51 (11/14/2013)
I tried it on a test server using the command prompt command. I can move the cluster group but i still see the quorum drive on the passive node only. It's not moving to the active node.

From a command prompt run the follwoing and note the results for the QUORUM group

cluster group

Use the following to move the group

cluster group QUORUM /moveto:newnode

Once done, run this again and check

cluster group

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1514352
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:53 AM
SSC-Addicted

Perry,

I try to do it but it failed throwing the following error--

System error 5013 has occurred (0x00001395).
The cluster group could not be found.

I can see the cluster group status from the command cluster group. It's on node1 and online.
Post #1514395
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:59 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Can you post the output please

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1514398
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:01 AM
SSC-Addicted

actually i found an article .......

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/90c13166-7f95-4ea8-9cac-580426d2598b/quorum-drive-not-moving-in-2node-cluster

Actually you don't need to. This layer of clustering has been abstracted from the administrator as it used to cause confusion for some administrators in Windows Server 2003 server clusters. Now this is managed entirely by the cluster service. If you shut down the node that contains the quorum disk (if you're using that mode), it will automatically be moved to another node.It's not something you need to deal with any more.
Post #1514400
Posted Friday, November 15, 2013 1:54 AM

SSCertifiable

You should still be able to move it using the commands above, works just fine for me

Post #1514627
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse