Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

how sql server failover cluster 2012 installation works on top of sql server 2012 that already installed Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:47 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:21 AM
this is steps that I have completed:
1/ window cluster 2012 created
2/ installed sql server 2012 (I selected new sql server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation) for both server (server 1 and server 2)
3/ next installation for sql server failover cluster 2012 is on top of sql server 2012. I am struggling with this installation and cluster node is failing. Please give me the guideline/step that fully working.
There are articles that i found, showing how to setup sql server failover cluster 2012. alwayson new feature configuring/manageing will be after I installing or before installing sql server failover cluster 2012?

thanks
Post #1513961
Posted Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:35 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:12 AM
I think this may help you.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1479027-2799-1.aspx

make your question more specific, if this doesnt help you....
Post #1514007
Posted Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:45 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, August 11, 2014 6:37 AM
If I am interpreting your post correctly are you saying that you have two physical servers participating in a windows cluster.

On each node you've a SQL server installation you plan to use with always on availability groups.

In addition to these standalone instances you are trying to install a 2 node SQL cluster on the same physical severs.

Is this correct? If so yes its possible but you will require local storage on each node to support the servers utilising always on, and shared storage presented which can be used for the failover SQL cluster.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012
Post #1514053
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:17 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:54 PM
RTaylor2208 (11/13/2013)
If I am interpreting your post correctly are you saying that you have two physical servers participating in a windows cluster.

On each node you've a SQL server installation you plan to use with always on availability groups.

In addition to these standalone instances you are trying to install a 2 node SQL cluster on the same physical severs.

Is this correct? If so yes its possible but you will require local storage on each node to support the servers utilising always on, and shared storage presented which can be used for the failover SQL cluster.

Also you wont be able to join the clustered instance to any AO groups you create since the clustered instance spans the same nodes as the stand alone instances.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1514175
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:30 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:58 AM
If your plan was to install standalone SQL instances on each node and then 'upgrade' them to clustered instances, there is no supported process to make this work.

You can continue to use the instances you installed as standalone SQL instances. If you want to have a clustered SQL instance then you will need to install a new SQL instance to specifically be a SQL clustered instance.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 28 July 2014: now over 30,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1514181
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse