Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Not getting the email notification that I set up, part 2 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:16 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:20 AM
FYI, I've implemented Database Mail on a lot of instances recently and I've never had to restart SQLAgent (caveat: these were mostly 2005, 2008 and 2008 R2 instances).

Assuming you can receive a test message to yourself sent by right-clicking Database Mail/Send Test Message..

1) Verify the the email account is associated to the profile you specified in the job 2) Check the your junk email folder or anti-spam system.

I've been tripped up by anti-spam filters more times that I like to admit. The #3 IT question after "Have you turned it off & on again?" and "Is Caps-Lock on?" ought to be "Have you looked in your Junk email folder?"

Post #1516548
Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:50 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 8:23 AM
Well, I've got to admit that I haven't performed a test message in a while. I just did, and the email never came to me. I even checked my junk folder - nothing. I clicked on the Troubleshoot button, but that brought me to a page for Visual Studio 2013; I don't find that to be of much help.

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1516561
Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:10 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:20 AM
Then Right-Click Database Mail/View Database Mail Log and see if there's an error that holds clues. In my expereince, when I can't send a test message it's one of 3 things...

1) Something wrong in the Database Mail Account configuration. Check with your email server person to make sure the server name, Port Number, SSL and SMTP Authentication settings are correct.

2) Anti-virus. Check anti virus software for settings that prevent the server from being hijacked to send spam.

3) Email server security. Ask your email server person to look for anti-spam security settings that prevent the database server from connecting to the email server. I had to go through this process with my mail server guy mutliple times to enable all of our SQL instances to send mail.

Once you can send a test message, xp_sendmail will work if you have the right parameters.
Post #1516601
Posted Friday, November 22, 2013 7:41 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 8:23 AM
WOW, I think that was it! I didn't know that you could right-click on Database Mail to get anything. Sure enough, that's what I did and there was lots of red flags! All saying that I wasn't using SSL. I got back into configuration for the relevant account, set it to use SSL, ran the test and finally got an email response. WOO HOO!

Thank you!!

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1516784
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse