Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Installing a clustered SQL 2012 instance is extremely slow Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:01 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:36 AM
Wonder if anyone has experience installing SQL 2012 on an existing Windows 2008 R2 cluster with several SQL 2008 R2 clustered instances already installed.
Installation takes over 4h! GUI wait between screens is up to 10 minutes. When checking the installation logs I can see setup verifying and re-verifying all kinds of things (disks, names...) related to the instances already present.
Never experienced this with 2008R2. I know SQL 2008R2 clustered install has a "delay" issue when using mount points (HF available btw)but this time it's really frustrating
Maybe I'll try using the cmdline and a config file. Any other suggestions?
Post #1507926
Posted Saturday, October 26, 2013 7:54 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:30 PM
Is any other process running on server in parallel. I hope you have the instalables placed on local drive rather than on network. Hows the cpu usage and memory utilisation on server look like..
Post #1508660
Posted Sunday, October 27, 2013 3:21 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

hi,
installing on the passive node. Nothing running whatsoever. I always reboot before starting any upgrade or installation (call me paranoid :))
CPU, network util, memory => ok, the system is really idle.
Post #1508690
Posted Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:07 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:15 PM
Is the problem solved?

I've just encounter the same issue

Cluster is Windows Server 2012 R2

SQL 2012 /w SP1

There are warnings about single network adapter, but other are all fine

Until the step to enter service accounts details, after I enter the DB engine service account, and click the to the other box to enter the Agent service account name, I need to wait 4-5 minutes before I can type anything, then after I entered both passwords of the accounts and clicked next, I need to waits for 15+ minutes.

At the page to configure driver to store data and log, each click between options need to wait for 4-5 minutes

We then stopped here. Then we tried to install SQL 2008 R2, very smooth to finish.

any hints for this?

Post #1525700
Posted Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:32 AM
Say Hey Kid

Hi Andrew,

no, not solved
I thought I was the only one experiencing this issue... The only difference I see is you're running a cluster based on Win 2012. So we can rule out the OS version.
I'll be doing some tests in the near future. If I find anything I'll post it here.

Regards
Thierry
Post #1525713
Posted Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:20 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 3:11 AM
you have to update statistics on all tables with full scan after a version upgrade, or restore of a database from a lower version to a higher;
the statistics are treated differently and the new optimizer needs them to be updated.

a quick script like this can help:
DECLARE @Exec VARCHAR(MAX)
SELECT @Exec = ''
SELECT @Exec = 'UPDATE STATISTICS '
+ QUOTENAME(schema_name(schema_id))
+ '.'
+ quotename(name)
+ ' WITH FULLSCAN ; '
+ CHAR(13) + CHAR(10)
+ @Exec
FROM sys.tables ORDER BY name DESC

PRINT LEN(@Exec)

PRINT @Exec

EXEC(@Exec)

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1525728
Posted Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:56 AM
Say Hey Kid

Lowell,
this thread is about installing a clustered SQL instance, not about querying...
Chrz
Thierry
Post #1525754
Posted Tuesday, December 24, 2013 8:03 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:47 AM
Hm.

This sounds familiar to a SQL install problem i once had with a large (16 CPU) HP server.

I ended up disabling all but 1 quadcore CPU until the initial install was done.

Maybe this will help?

grtz,

Theo
Post #1525757
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 5:44 AM
Say Hey Kid

Thx for the tip Theo. I'll try this out next time I need to install a fresh instance.
Post #1526112
Posted Sunday, December 29, 2013 1:22 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:08 AM
thierry.vandurme (10/24/2013)
Wonder if anyone has experience installing SQL 2012 on an existing Windows 2008 R2 cluster with several SQL 2008 R2 clustered instances already installed.
Installation takes over 4h! GUI wait between screens is up to 10 minutes. When checking the installation logs I can see setup verifying and re-verifying all kinds of things (disks, names...) related to the instances already present.
Never experienced this with 2008R2. I know SQL 2008R2 clustered install has a "delay" issue when using mount points (HF available btw)but this time it's really frustrating
Maybe I'll try using the cmdline and a config file. Any other suggestions?

The install will perform a full cluster validation as does an SP too. With multiple nodes and instances already installed it could take a short while.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1526363
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse