Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Managing MaxMemory Values on an Active-Active Two Node Cluster Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:13 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:53 PM
There should be a logic in the job to check if the fail over happened. otherwise , it will keep reset the MAXMemory setting to the same value.
Post #1508231
Posted Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:25 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:35 AM
Andrew L. Smith-213145 (10/24/2013)
What about the memory adjustments that each instance is supposed to do in the case of a fail-over to the same node? It is my understanding that each instance cooperates with each other and the OS to scale their memory usage to an acceptable level for each.

I want to be able to control my memory to give more to my ProdDBs and less to my ReptDBs if they are both on the same node.

Post #1508237
Posted Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:30 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

qiyuef (10/24/2013)
There should be a logic in the job to check if the fail over happened. otherwise , it will keep reset the MAXMemory setting to the same value.

The code to set the MaxMem will only run when the SQL Server Agent is started. Usually that doesn't happen too often.

Post #1508239
Posted Friday, October 25, 2013 11:34 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:11 PM
This was a great article. I implemented this on a cluster we are putting in production this weekend. I thoroughly tested it and it worked like a charm. This is a big help.

Post #1508549
Posted Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:18 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, November 25, 2013 1:50 AM
Good idea - but you might want to adjust the max mem settings back to default if one of the two instances leaves the node. So if you add a schedule running hourly that resets the max memory to full capacity if the instances are running alone on the node, it will look almost perfect.
Post #1508664
Posted Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:30 AM
Ten Centuries

Henning Peter Jensen (10/26/2013)
Good idea - but you might want to adjust the max mem settings back to default if one of the two instances leaves the node. So if you add a schedule running hourly that resets the max memory to full capacity if the instances are running alone on the node, it will look almost perfect.

As soon as an instance is failed-back, so that each instance is each running on a separate node, these scripts/jobs will reset the max mem to their defined high values - in my examples to 245GB.

Post #1508665
Posted Saturday, January 4, 2014 6:07 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 3:21 AM
Excellent article, time permitting, I will try this in a VM environment.

Thanks

qh

SQL 2K acts like a spoilt child - you need to coax it round with lollipops.
Post #1527808
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse