Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Recharge and Relax Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:00 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:29 PM
WOW only 10 days for vacation and sick, no way I could work for your company. I get 25 vacation days, 8 paid holidays, and I accrue 5 days of sick per year, caps at 360 hours of sick time.

In my first 20 years at this job I would spread out my time with a day here and there or two. Granted I didn't start with that much time, I think I started with 10 days of vacation. I was talking to our CIO a couple years ago and we talked about how we each use our vacation. He told me he at least books two weeks off in a row each year to truly disconnect from work. This really hit home with me that I wasn't truly enjoying my time off knowing I would be back to work in a day or two, maybe a little longer if I scheduled around a holiday. So I talked to my wife about this and we decided to try it. We took our first trip to Mexico(Cabo San Lucas) and loved it. And he was right, before the end of the first week I had truly disconnected from work and was enjoying my vacation. Second week was even better.
Last year was two weeks in Hawaii, the best two weeks of my life.

We had a guy here, 'Larry' that worked every day for 30+ years. This man only took a 1/2 day off when his father died. As you can imagine one day 'Larry' didn't show up for work. We find out he died of a heart attack. Now did 'Larry' get anything more from the company buy giving up all those vacation days? Nope, they hired a replacement for him within two weeks. They didn't care, so take your vacation, life is indeed to short.

Not to open a can of worms from a previous post, but for those of you with less time, wouldn't a union be great to fight for you to have more time off(paid)? I know I would, 30+ days off sounds better to me like they have in the UK.
Post #1507630
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:04 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 3:11 PM
At my last job, I got a grand 2 days of vacation time a year, and everyone got Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day off; that was it. I was more or less forbidden to use my vacation days, too; the fear of "something happening with the server" was too great to let me have time off.

I moved to a new job earlier this year, though, and I'm already set to take some vacation time; three days of it next week, in fact! It's actually kinda surprising to be able to do that, which is probably a little sad, but now I can attend some of the events that I missed out on for two years! It's going to be great to be able to take a day off here and there when I need an extra bit of time to unwind, and the previous job definitely taught me that such time is necessary on occasion

----------------------------------
My journal of things I'm learning about SQL
Post #1507632
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:08 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Today @ 2:50 PM
I know we can get caught up in work, but, geez, definitely take all the time you have coming! I love my job, but how many of us can honestly say that if we won the lottery tomorrow, you'd keep coming to work? Nope, not me. There are so many things I'd rather do. Take your time-off and do some of them.

You only get so many spins around the sun.
Post #1507635
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:14 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

ryk 98103 (10/23/2013)
I know we can get caught up in work, but, geez, definitely take all the time you have coming! I love my job, but how many of us can honestly say that if we won the lottery tomorrow, you'd keep coming to work? Nope, not me. There are so many things I'd rather do. Take your time-off and do some of them.

You only get so many spins around the sun.

Thats why I but tickets for every drawing. Hope I hit it tonight.
Post #1507646
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:14 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:25 PM
below86 (10/23/2013)
Not to open a can of worms from a previous post, but for those of you with less time, wouldn't a union be great to fight for you to have more time off(paid)? I know I would, 30+ days off sounds better to me like they have in the UK.

NHS staff = civil servants i.e. public sector workers.

In theory, and very much historically, the larger amount of holidays was to cater for accepting a lower wage from whichever government body they worked for.

As for unions it is a very complex issue. Just look at what they achieved at Grangemouth today. Or rather between the union and the employer over 1300 people have just lost their jobs. Please note that I am not putting any blame on any party as I don't know all the facts. All I am saying is that unions are not a panacea (silver bullets are not restricted to IT).

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1507647
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:34 AM

SSC Veteran

Gary Varga (10/23/2013)
below86 (10/23/2013)

In theory, and very much historically, the larger amount of holidays was to cater for accepting a lower wage from whichever government body they worked for.

As for unions it is a very complex issue. Just look at what they achieved at Grangemouth today. Or rather between the union and the employer over 1300 people have just lost their jobs. Please note that I am not putting any blame on any party as I don't know all the facts. All I am saying is that unions are not a panacea (silver bullets are not restricted to IT).

It may not be the answer, but if I only had 10 days vacation and sick, I would be doing something to change that. I am not in a union, and have never been. Maybe I just have an over simplified view of what unions have done for us today. Having weekends off, paid vacation, paid sick time, paid holidays, etc. Not all of us are good negotiators, some of us would benefit from someone working on our behalf.
Post #1507675
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:38 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:25 PM
below86 (10/23/2013)
Gary Varga (10/23/2013)
below86 (10/23/2013)

It may not be the answer, but if I only had 10 days vacation and sick, I would be doing something to change that. I am not in a union, and have never been. Maybe I just have an over simplified view of what unions have done for us today. Having weekends off, paid vacation, paid sick time, paid holidays, etc. Not all of us are good negotiators, some of us would benefit from someone working on our behalf.

I agree. Nowadays I would not want to work for an establishment that thought that was adequate as I would assume that I would not like their attitudes to other aspects too.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1507677
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:50 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:51 AM
Hi Steve, I am very sorry to hear about your friends; I just had one of my oldest friends pass away last year as well and he was only 44. Life is too short. When I was at my 25th high school reunion, a friend told me that we've passed the threshold where we will be going to more funerals than weddings. I hope that time does not come for a couple of more decades as I am planning on getting married in 2014.

I read another article where they were talking about how the average worker works longer hours, with fewer days off than surfs in the middle ages. I wish the companies in the U.S. and Asia would adopt the European standard of about a month of vacation a year,as opposed to two weeks. I think the standard of living would actually increase as there would be more people needed to work and overtime would be a thing of the past, with a few exceptions, for when something unplanned happens. Unemployment would go down and people would live longer, with less stress. I also think that's why heart disease is lower in Europe as well.

It would be nice, but contemporary business thinking has been so inflexible. HR departments tend to frown on unconventional work schedules. Comp time is also another area HR does not like. I think as long as you do good work and present value for your company, the working hours should be between you and your boss.

Post #1507679
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:52 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 4:54 AM
In the UK the legal minimum is 28 days including public holidays. Many companies offer a week more than that and give additional holiday to longer-serving employees. This does not apply to contract staff though who have more choice in the "time vs money" equation.

Post #1507681
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:02 AM

SSC Veteran

Richard Warr (10/23/2013)
In the UK the legal minimum is 28 days including public holidays. Many companies offer a week more than that and give additional holiday to longer-serving employees. This does not apply to contract staff though who have more choice in the "time vs money" equation.

OK, next year I'm looking for a job in the UK.

I would gladly give up a portion of my salary for another week off.
Post #1507684
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse