Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Minor Problems Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 9:07 AM
Grant Fritchey (10/22/2013)
...Any less than that and it looks kind of unprofessional.

Oops!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1507176
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:25 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, December 30, 2013 2:11 PM
As a total newbie to SQL Server 4 years ago, I am extremely grateful to questions answered through a blog, message forum or website. It is very gratifying to see that someone else had the same issue, found the solution and was kind enough to post their solution to the problem. It is also sad to find a posting that is the same issue as what you are having and find there wasn't an answer.

I joke with my sister about the wonders of 'Mr Google', but without people posting their solutions or their knowledge, Mr. Google who not be as smart as he is.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post something.

Christy
Post #1507177
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:36 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:28 PM
tabinsc (10/22/2013)
Thank you Steve for this article. This is something I need to do but haven't done yet. I guess writing the first one is the most difficult.

It is tough.

My advice. Open Word, mark the date and start writing about something you did this week. Can be a new solution or a way you've done something for years. Take 15 minutes at a time, a couple times a week. Get a page written that explains a solution or technique.

Repeat this 9 times. When you get done, you'll have some idea on how you can produce information on what you do. Schedule these out on a blog and keep going. Get feedback from friends on the writing, start chronicling your technical work.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1507185
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:49 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:28 PM
Gary Varga (10/22/2013)
I have the following criteria for my posts:

1) There is no existing post that already covers what I would say (although consolidation and/or simplification are viable reasons to still post).
2) There is inherent value in the post for either me at a later date or someone else i.e. it is a solution to a problem, not just opinion.

Writing posts isn't necessarily just for you. I would argue it's a good way to show potential employers and others who you are, how you think, what you know.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1507195
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:53 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:07 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/22/2013)
Gary Varga (10/22/2013)
I have the following criteria for my posts:

1) There is no existing post that already covers what I would say (although consolidation and/or simplification are viable reasons to still post).
2) There is inherent value in the post for either me at a later date or someone else i.e. it is a solution to a problem, not just opinion.

Writing posts isn't necessarily just for you. I would argue it's a good way to show potential employers and others who you are, how you think, what you know.

I get that but I feel that blogging about something should add value, however, if I had more time...

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1507199
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:45 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 8:23 AM
Grant Fritchey (10/22/2013)
tabinsc (10/22/2013)
Thank you Steve for this article. This is something I need to do but haven't done yet. I guess writing the first one is the most difficult.

Nah, first one is easy. Second, third, fourth, etc. to infinity, that's when they get difficult. Maintaining a blog over time really is a lot of work. And you want to post in a semi-regular fashion. I'd say, minimum, once every month to 6 weeks. Any less than that and it looks kind of unprofessional.

That's good to know, Grant.

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1507292
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse