Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

DR testing in SQL 2000 Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:57 AM
Hi,
We have a situation where we need to do a DR testing of our existing logshipping solution. We have implemented it using SQL 2000. During the testing we want to bring our DR DB's online but still we will have our Production still to running. I have a taken a full backup of the Prod and kept it ready to revert back once testing is completed.
I would like to know what is the best process to accomplish this.
Post #1506947
Posted Monday, October 21, 2013 8:35 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:24 AM
Pause the log shipping jobs that restore. Let new logs continue to be run on the primary and copied over.

Bring the DR database online (with recovery) and test if things are OK.

Once you are done, do a restore of your full backup with norecovery and then start restoring logs. The jobs may or may not pick up at the right sequence, depending on when you made the backup, so you might need some manual restores of logs (with norecovery) to get to the point where the automated jobs pick up.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1506949
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse