Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Dating Your Employer Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, September 27, 2013 8:21 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:56 AM
Eric, what is negotiable varies by company. Sometimes there is room to talk on salary. Insurance and 401k rarely. Time off, it depends - getting extra paid days is hard, getting an ok to take more time unpaid is often easy (and you just work the salary to make it so you end up at the same place). Training is a good ask. Flex schedule. Comp time. Getting a company phone and getting to pick the phone. Picking your laptop. Being a local admin (tell me that isn't worth something!). Big monitors, special keyboard are smaller asks, but why not ask? Always good to ask about a bonus program, tuition assistance. Ask for exam reimbursement. Paid time to go to training (even if they won't pay). It would be rare to not get something, because they want you - that's the time of most leverage for you.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1499412
Posted Friday, September 27, 2013 8:22 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, December 14, 2014 7:49 AM
Very interesting article, Andy!

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1499414
Posted Friday, September 27, 2013 8:25 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

The analogy to the police interview is sometimes all too apt. Yet I think the coffee talk is too far the other way in most cases. It's hard to get right. I don't mind the grilling, its a chance to see what they care about. I took a contract once as a DBA that had no technical questions, it was about projects and relationships - that's what mattered to them and it intrigued me.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1499419
Posted Thursday, October 3, 2013 2:59 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:50 PM
The last time I was unemployed and interviewing I came in and was introduced to a man who asked three questions. He then said "let me go check something it should only be 10-15 minutes". He left.

I sat in his office and thought about the questions and what he had said so far and waited. About 20 minutes later he returned and told me that he was not interested in hiring me for the job I was interviewing for but he had another job in mind and he immediately made me an offer for the other job. I told him that I would get back to him by the close of business the next day and left. This was after only three questions.

I called just after noon the next day asked if the offer was still good and took the job. It was one of the best jobs I ever had.

He did not leave as a test, but left to talk with the HR department to see how he could hire me quickly and into a pure development position. He worked in out in 15 minutes or so. The rest is history.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1501355
Posted Thursday, October 3, 2013 4:53 PM
SSCertifiable

Miles, it's nice to hear a good story to balance us out - not every interview/date goes bad

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1501382
Posted Friday, October 4, 2013 3:13 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:58 AM
Andy Warren (10/3/2013)
Miles, it's nice to hear a good story to balance us out - not every interview/date goes bad

True. And whilst it makes for a far more interesting debate wringing out the salacious tales, bringing in a good tale brings greater balance to it. As well as a nice feeling.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1501479
Posted Friday, October 4, 2013 7:45 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:21 AM
The same rules that apply to dating should also apply to employment interviews. Both sides of the table should "keep it real" and not play games. The candidate should be honest and straighforward about what they can offer, and the employer should be straighforward about what they're looking for as well.

There have been job interviews where at the end of the day I felt it was a total waste of my time, and there have been some interviews that were downright creepy. These are companies that actually called me back or communicated through the recruiter that they were interested in a 2nd interview. I'm sure the employer considered their interview process clever and themselves such a good catch that any candidate in their right mind would take the job. But... wrong. Why did their most senior level developer bail on them? Maybe it's time they take a long hard look in the mirror.
Post #1501600
Posted Friday, October 4, 2013 7:51 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 7:18 AM
Eric M Russell (10/4/2013)
The same rules that apply to dating should also apply to employment interviews. Both sides of the table should "keep it real" and not play games. The candidate should be honest and straighforward about what they can offer, and the employer should be straighforward about what they're looking for as well.

Oooh! Speed interviewing?
Post #1501602
Posted Friday, October 4, 2013 8:14 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:21 AM
Tom Bakerman (10/4/2013)

More like a bad blind date with spoiled princess.
Post #1501616
Posted Friday, October 4, 2013 9:23 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:50 PM
Tom Bakerman (10/4/2013)

Isn't a job fair like speed interviewing already?

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1501641
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse