Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 12:04 PM
|I want to monitor rights change on certain users with windows authentication and sql server authentication. I am planning to automate this task by running queries against catalog views and saving the results in tables and generating email alerts if any permissions changed for any user on any database.
I have these five windows users (Wuser1, Wuser2, Wuser3, Wuser4, Wuser5) that are part of a group called MyWUsers. They are set to have membership = public, Server roles = public and User Mapping = public to certain databases.
Another user AdUser (user type =SQL Server) has membership and Server roles set to public and sysadmin, User mapping set to db_owner and public on certain databases.
A service account (user type = windows) has membership and server role set to public and user mapping set to db_owner and public on certain databases.
Please provide a sample query that I can use to get their memberships, server roles, use mapping, default schema on all databases on db instance on sql server 2008.
Hall of Fame
Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 29, 2014 2:44 PM
I suggest another approach in SQL Server 2008.
Please try using Audits. They are under Security in SQL Serfver Management Studio. It takes just a few minutes to create. Then you can script them as you can script any SQL Server object
Create a New Audit, Give it a location, accept the default name or give it any other name.
On a server or database level create a new Server or Database Audit Specification.
Select Audit Action Type. As an example I have selected
Then I have enebled Audit and Audit Specification by right-clicking and selecting Enable.
As I test I have added a user to Master database and thenI have made him and then removed him from db_datawriter role. This has been recorded in a log. To view log, righ-click the Audit and selct View Audit Logs.
I have got something like this:
Date 10/1/2013 5:57:21 PM
Log Audit Collection (Audit-20131001-135447)
Event Time 17:57:21.7858782
Server Instance Name <my server instance name>
Action ID DROP MEMBER
Class Type ROLE
Sequence Number 1
Permission Bit Mask 0
Column Permission False
Session ID 66
Server Principal ID 272
Database Principal ID 1
Target Server Principal ID 0
Target Database Principal ID 0
Object ID 1
Session Server Principal Name <my domain name>
Server Principal Name <my domain name>
Server Principal SID 0x150000052100019818780122381183047672310502264300
Database Principal Name dbo
Target Server Principal Name <the user name for the person permissions changed>
Target Server Principal SID 0x16123417675321371476413335254015494208143
Target Database Principal Name <the user name for the person permissions changed>
Database Name master
Object Name db_datawriter
Statement EXEC sp_droprolemember N'db_datawriter', N'<user name>'
File Name <file path i have specified when creating the audit>.sqlaudit
File Offset 1024