Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Printed Books Vs E-Books Expand / Collapse
As an a professional in SQL Server what is the best way you use for reading and Learning about SQL Server are this through Printed Books or E-Books
Poll ResultsVotes
Printed Books

56%
PDF on Laptop

21.33%
Tablet (ipad - Kindle - Surface ... etc)

22.67%
Member Votes: 72, Anonymous Votes: 0. You don't have permission to vote within this poll.
Author
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013 4:17 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 25, 2014 2:50 PM
For exended reading, I still like hardcopy books. For reference, you can't beat the searchability of PDF files. PDFs are good on laptops and larger screen devices but frustrating on Kindle Fire or small screens, where Kindle-format ebooks are much more usable.
Post #1496642
Posted Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:28 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 10:06 AM
you can vote for the most favorites one for you for example if you have a 3 copy for same book one of them printed book , the second copy on the tablet (E-BOOK) and the last copy on your laptop (PDF file) which one you prefer to use and more comfortable to you than the others to read this book
Post #1498477
Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:23 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:26 AM
Generally i read article or Ebooks but ther is one book whic make me desparate to purchase it "Sql server 2008 internals" by kalen daleney. i have tried many book online store to purchase LPE edition but every where it was with "sold out" tag. then finaly i went to a market (books hub) from where i bought it . i always carry it while travel to office and spend some time on it.i also have ebook in my smart phone but ..i prefer my hand book

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done
Post #1498768
Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:07 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 1:53 PM
I prefer actual books because you can flip back and forth more easily than in electronic media. There's also something nice about unplugging and just getting into it. I don't use electronic readers at all for multiple reasons but do read on a computer, but that invites distractions and you're no longer into what you're reading.

An added bonus with a physical book is that you know it's going to be on your shelf when you need it and it won't suddenly become unavailable because your permissions were lost, the electronic device died, it became unpublished or a license check failed because a server died or was hacked somewhere. When I buy a book, I bought a book - I didn't rent it. I don't want to be subject to a corporate whim where I suddenly lose it.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1498815
Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:31 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:51 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Kindle. Anyone experience with it?
I have some PDFs lying around, can it display those as well?

Is it good for reading technical books (screenshots, tables, code samples, ...)?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1498836
Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:44 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 1:53 PM
Koen Verbeeck (9/26/2013)

Is it good for reading technical books (screenshots, tables, code samples, ...)?

I've used my father-in-law's a little, just to try it out. It's okay for novels, but I could tell in the first 10 minutes that I'd never want to use it for anything technical.

To be fair, he has an older one (with ads! ) and he opted for the model without the touch screen. The newer ones might be nicer, but I wouldn't ever read technical books on my phone either. The 5" screen isn't enough real estate. Talk about not being able to see the big picture...

Just my two cents.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1498849
Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:56 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:20 AM
For me, it's definitely the hardcopies. I've so many pdfs in my lappy but couldn't complete any and the only one's i've completed are the hard copied. Somehow I cannot pace up with the current world on that note and old fashioned reading serves best for me.
Post #1498860
Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:56 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 5:59 PM
Koen Verbeeck (9/26/2013)

It can display PDFs, but the screen is small and I find some technical PDFs have diagrams that when shrunk onto a 5" screen become undecipherable. A screenshot from a tablet may look ok (I don't know if any Kindles have color as opposed to grey-scale - mine doesn't, so that could be an issue) but I suspect screenshots of a 24" screen might appear a bit too tiny. Tables and code samples, like diagrams and screen shots, are going to be OK only if they fit legibly onto a 5" screen. So I don't think that a Kindle is is adequate for all technical books, only for some.

Also sometimes when with a paper book I would keep a place with my finger while I looked at some other section the Kindle equivalent is any one of add a bookmark, remember some text (then you can search for it), or remember a position identifier (a number, how many digits depends on how far into the book the position is). At first I found that awkward, but I've got used to it and creating, using, and deleting marks has become easy. And of course when you close a book the Kindle remembers where you were, which is something I've often wished paper books would do.

I find mine useful for some technical documents but not for others because of the problems with the 5" screen. For the others I use either the Kindle app on my laptop or Foxit reader (both are free, and I hate Acrobat) or other apps for other formats (most formats can be converted to Kindle format or PDF). I've run out of shelf space so I have reduced by paper book acquisition rate by a large factor.

Tom
Post #1499021
Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:04 PM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:15 AM
I believe the manual effort of actually writing something down facilitates the learning process, at least for me it does. My comprehension of the material is better that way.
Post #1499029
Posted Friday, September 27, 2013 2:41 PM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, August 25, 2014 10:20 AM
I have the Kindle Fire HD, which has a 7" screen (I think). I do most of my leisure reading (books and magazines) on the Kindle, and do some technical reading on it. I'd do a lot more if my library had more technical ebooks available for checkout.

As a bonus, I listen to music at work on it, it has games if I need to keep the grandkid occupied, and works fine for browsing most web sites (it is getting better all the time) and watching Netflix.

I don't mean to sound like an Amazon ad but I love my Kindle and carry it everywhere!

Post #1499592
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse