Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Printed Books Vs E-Books Expand / Collapse
As an a professional in SQL Server what is the best way you use for reading and Learning about SQL Server are this through Printed Books or E-Books
Poll ResultsVotes
Printed Books

56%
PDF on Laptop

21.33%
Tablet (ipad - Kindle - Surface ... etc)

22.67%
Member Votes: 72, Anonymous Votes: 0. You don't have permission to vote within this poll.
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:43 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 10:06 AM
Post #1495871
Posted Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:00 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:42 AM
Personally I like printed books the most. Nothing beats the actual touch and feel of an actual book. (and you can kill flies with it!)
It's also easier on the eyes and it doesn't consume batteries. However, printed books are usually not in color.

Since I don't have the physical space to store every book I want to read, pdf on a laptop comes as a close second.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1495878
Posted Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:06 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:05 AM
I am not voting because I use all three options.

The SQL Guy @ blogspot

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me
Post #1495881
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:52 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:33 AM
Koen Verbeeck (9/18/2013)
Personally I like printed books the most. Nothing beats the actual touch and feel of an actual book. (and you can kill flies with it!)

Well, you CAN kill flies with various electronic book reading devices...

...but I don't think the warranty will cover it.

Post #1496495
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:58 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:01 PM
Those are some severely limited choices. I use the first two plus multiple other formats and not limited to just laptops. I maintain ebooks on my desktop box and on thumb-drives as well. Generally, I try to convert PDF's to WORD so that I can add my personal notes to the eBook.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1496496
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:24 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:45 AM
Sean Pearce (9/18/2013)
I am not voting because I use all three options.

I use all three options, plus others, but I'm voting for tablet because I've run out of shelf space and my Kindle is a lot more convenient than my laptop (it will fit into my pocket, for example). Also, I'm using DVDs to store mob or other readable format files - that consumes much less space than paper. Of course the kindle and the laptop can both display pdf as well as mob format, and conversion from other formats to one of those is usually extremely easy. I've found that sometimes the laptop is useful for ebooks with diagrams in them - diagrams are sometimes badly handled on the Kindle.
The scarcity of shelf space means that I'm now buying a lot more ebooks than paper ones. But it will be a verylong time before my ebook collection has as many books as my paper collection - the paper collection had a very long head start.

Tom
Post #1496545
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:38 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Friday, October 3, 2014 7:20 AM
Print & PDF. While I read a lot of books on my iPad I have yet to read a technical computer book on the iPad... usually because they are too big and I prefer to read smaller books on a tablet. So I guess my real answer is it depends on how many pages in the book. If it's over a certain page number I'll be reading the print version.
Post #1496590
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:31 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Jeff Atherton (9/19/2013)
Print & PDF. While I read a lot of books on my iPad I have yet to read a technical computer book on the iPad... usually because they are too big and I prefer to read smaller books on a tablet. So I guess my real answer is it depends on how many pages in the book. If it's over a certain page number I'll be reading the print version.

It surprises me that number of pages is an issue. Now page size as an issue I can understand - if there are full page diagrams, or even worse diagrams that spread over two pages, and the original page size was A4 or American Letter or Foolscap, that won't be viable on a small screen device.

Tom
Post #1496615
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:42 PM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:15 AM
For me, it really depends on the purpose of the book. For "reading" books, I'm fine with eBooks on the laptop or the tablet. For "studying" material, it's still hard to beat a printed book that you can mark up, highlight, make notes in and reference.
Post #1496622
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013 4:11 PM

SSCertifiable

George M Parker (9/19/2013)
For me, it really depends on the purpose of the book. For "reading" books, I'm fine with eBooks on the laptop or the tablet. For "studying" material, it's still hard to beat a printed book that you can mark up, highlight, make notes in and reference.

But I can highlight and make notes in books on my Kindle and in the Kindle app on my laptop; and I don't see how an ebook is in any way different from a paper book with respect to referencing (of course when I see a web reference in an ebook I can click on it and go there, which is kind of hard with a paper book, so I can see that difference, but I think you meant something quite different from that - don't know what, though).

Tom
Post #1496636
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse