Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Managing historical data Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 6:53 AM
Hi all,

I want to reuse existing report to another database with same tabular structure. However, I want to preserve historic data as well. I mean if i have to create new report I will need to write new queries but I just want to use same query with only change in database name. is there any precise way??

Thanks in advance.

Mg
Post #1492586
Posted Monday, September 9, 2013 4:00 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:54 AM
you can copy the report and then use the same query but change the datasource to the new database.
Post #1492716
Posted Monday, September 9, 2013 10:39 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 6:53 AM
Thank you for the reply. But in that case I have to manage two reports. let me describe my scenario in detail.

I have two database. A and B
previously I have been using A for my reporting. Now I want to use B database and also need to preserve historic reports from A. My reports are large so if i go through manual approach I have to change all the queries (i.e A$tablename to B$tablename). So exploring if there is any alternative approach. Hoping for your reply.

Many thanks!!
Post #1492981
Posted Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:58 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:54 AM
In that case, can you not just change the datasource (unless you have the database hardcoded)?
Post #1493128
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse