Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456»»

The Loss of Trust Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:21 PM
hisakimatama (9/9/2013)
I agree that the NSA's conduct and invasion of privacy are quite quesionable, but as long as we're only given candidates that are compliant with them in our polls, there isn't much we can do to reverse the situation, aside from hoping someone more resilient comes along for the next election.

Sadly you are right - although I know several American citizens who cite the 2nd amendment as a guarantee that a government will not be able with impunity to violate the constitution, the right to bear arms doesn't imply any right of insurrection against the elected government of the USA so it offers no such guarantee.
Even more sadly, I believe that the hoping to which you refer is forlorn hoping - and even if someone did come along who wanted to enforce the constitutional rights of citizens they would stand no chance at all of being elected, so much is the dominance of the two main parties which would surely never permit such a person to become one of their candidates.
And of course we seem to be no better off in the UK.

Tom
Post #1492840
Posted Monday, September 9, 2013 9:42 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:11 PM
L' Eomot Inversé (9/9/2013)
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/8/2013)

Ugh. How long before we have people spying on our databases as well? A sad, sad, time.

What? You mean you think it isn't already happening?

No idea. It might be, but I'm concerned with the point made of public (law enforcement) cameras forced on private property. When might some "filter" be required in databases to ensure there isn't terrorist activity in our financial (or other) systems?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1492841
Posted Monday, September 9, 2013 9:51 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, September 13, 2013 6:50 AM
Steve.

True. The technology power is widespread.

The U.S. government has another great power. It is the "power" for obtaining the "cooperation" of successful billion-dollar corporations, including communications and security corporations. Why use technology when you can "ask" for information?

Oh, I just remembered a third government advantage. The U.S. government does not have turn a profit or justify its expenses or financially succeed. A lot of accountability is lost when you are spending other people's money.
Post #1492846
Posted Monday, September 9, 2013 10:31 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:21 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/9/2013)

No idea. It might be, but I'm concerned with the point made of public (law enforcement) cameras forced on private property. When might some "filter" be required in databases to ensure there isn't terrorist activity in our financial (or other) systems?

If we try to agree some standard for database protection what are the chances that the NSA will mount a campaign to derail it (like their mostly successful campaign to derail IPSEC and very successful campaign to derail mobile phone security)? If it were derailed, would it be much use against the other intruders (other than the NSA)?
Actually, I hope the NSA would be careful to derail things only to the extent that the NSA (and probably GCHQ and the Chinese, Russian, German, French and Australian equivalents, as they too employ some good mathematicians) can penetrate it, while leaving penetration beyond the capacity of private groups and terrorists. But I'm not really sure that they would.
However, I suspect that our current database protection (in SQL Server) is pretty good, unless NSA have persuaded MS to insert some back doors, provided developers and DBAs use it sensibly (which sometimes - quite often - fails to happen).

Tom
Post #1492863
Posted Monday, September 9, 2013 3:38 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:42 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/9/2013)

It's already sort of there with the Currency transaction reports over $10K.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1492932
Posted Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:29 AM
SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Friday, November 14, 2014 10:06 AM
Haha I feel vindicated as people would always call me a consipiracy theorist on these things and there are few I subscribe to but.....

I have always said the government was already looking at our digital data without our knowledge through either back doors or brute force. What pisses me off is the fact they have this data stored back a lot further than I imagined which means they have the means to dig into anybodies past beyond the scope of any warrant condition ever allowed. I think though it is interesting that they would ever need to grab anyones hard drive for emails and such considering they already have it. Guess has been mostly for show except at the local enforcement level who had been kept out.

So score 1 for my long term theory and then they throw me another bone. AREA 51 does indeed exist, boo-yah I knew it. So what other theories are waiting in the wings, third gunman on the grassy knoll?

Our government is run by people who don't care about freedom, Democrate or Republican, both are willing to throw us under the bus, they are all just angling for who has the power to do the tossing. It has been a long time coming but this should tell everyone to vote every single member of congress out and stop buying the kool-aid cause you're just a pawn for their plans.

Post #1493211
Posted Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:41 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 7:07 AM
FYI, here is a related news item I got from SANS today.

--Long Shot Bill Would Prohibit NSA From Putting Backdoors in Encryption
(September 8, 2013)
A US legislator has introduced a bill that would prohibit the National
Security Agency (NSA) from introducing backdoors into encryption. The
bill was originally introduced in July, but has received renewed
attention following recent revelations about the NSA's snooping
activities. It seeks to repeal the Patriot Act and the FISA Amendments
Act of 2008. As currently written, the bill stands virtually no chance
of passing out of committee, let alone reaching the floor.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/09/long-shot-bill-forbidding-nsa-backdoors-in-encryption-has-some-renewed-attention/
[Editor's Note (Pescatore): I have asked my state senator to sponsor a
long shot bill that prohibits cyber attackers from sending out malware
that puts backdoors onto PCs and servers.]
Post #1493328
Posted Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:57 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:53 AM
This is why we need more Ron Johnson and Rand Paul's in Congress.
Post #1494187
Posted Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:02 PM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:22 PM
I'm shocked... shocked to find out government has been spying on us!

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME][/url]

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.
Post #1494350
Posted Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:10 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 7:07 AM
And?
Post #1494357
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse