Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

No More MCM Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 9, 2013 10:50 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:50 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/9/2013)
GilaMonster (9/8/2013)
L' Eomot Inversé (9/7/2013)
The connect item has now disappeared.

I think someone at MS doesn't like being told they screwed up.

It was removed at Jen's request because a small number of people were abusing the platform and using it to insult, harass and otherwise annoy well-known members of the SQL community.

I think this was a mistake. The bad comes with the good, and having a place to vote makes sense.

I agree with Steve here! If there are actual trolls disrupting discussions, a multitude of folks could have made complaints and this could help Microsoft improve the quality of the connect pages.

Post #1492869
Posted Monday, September 9, 2013 10:59 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:36 PM
L' Eomot Inversé (9/7/2013)
The connect item has now disappeared.

I think someone at MS doesn't like being told they screwed up.

Just decreases my respect for them still further. The company's attitude to its customers and its users has really changed for the worse over the last several years.

FYI: The connect item has been resurrected... sort of. It's at http://bringbackmcm.wordpress.com/, and you can't vote, but you can read it.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1492873
Posted Monday, September 9, 2013 11:35 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:11 AM
The MCM certification may not be gone forever depending on how this quote from Tim Sneath can be interpreted.

"... Microsoft has decided to take a pause from offering the program, and see if there is a better way to have a new pinnacle certification..."

Source: Microsoft Ends MCM

I guess we'll have to wait and see what "pause" means.
Post #1492883
Posted Monday, September 9, 2013 11:43 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 2:51 PM
I'm done with MS certs. From what's been said (which I cannot repeat), I'm not at all optimistic about their plans.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1492886
Posted Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:12 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Today @ 2:54 PM
Can anyone please confirm this new update? Is it true we have 90 days now?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/10/microsoft_says_axed_certs_failed_its_software_biz/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Certified Solution Master: Data Platform, Microsoft Certified Trainer
Email: Louis.Li@rrlminc.com | Blog | LinkedIn
Post #1493159
Posted Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:34 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:34 AM
Dave62 (9/9/2013)
The MCM certification may not be gone forever depending on how this quote from Tim Sneath can be interpreted.

"... Microsoft has decided to take a pause from offering the program, and see if there is a better way to have a new pinnacle certification..."

Source: Microsoft Ends MCM

I guess we'll have to wait and see what "pause" means.

Why wait for Microsoft? Hopefully the community takes the initiative from them and instead offers them a partnership in a future certification process where they are merely partners. They'd probably be happy to see someone else shoulder the risk. Hopefully we don't give them all the rewards though.
Post #1493260
Posted Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:55 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

li_ning123 (9/10/2013)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/10/microsoft_says_axed_certs_failed_its_software_biz/

The numbers cited in that article are pretty rough, I don't see how anybody can fault Microsoft for cancelling the MCM based on the costs and benefits implied.

Post #1493272
Posted Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:03 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:36 PM
li_ning123 (9/10/2013)

FYI, several things in that article are not what was said. It makes me wonder if they truly have a copy of the meeting as they claim - or if they do, if they even listened it.

About the 90 days - if this turns out to be true, MS Learning will have an official announcement.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1493313
Posted Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:27 PM
SSC-Addicted

WayneS (9/10/2013)
li_ning123 (9/10/2013)

FYI, several things in that article are not what was said. It makes me wonder if they truly have a copy of the meeting as they claim - or if they do, if they even listened it.

From the article:

Tim Sneath, who heads Microsoft's certification programs, expanded on past explanations for the certifications' withdrawal by explaining they consumed around half of Microsoft Learning Systems' budget but resulted in less than one in a thousand new certifications each year. As such, the certifications were not sustainable.

“When we look at products like Windows, Exchange and SharePoint, those are billion dollar businesses,” Sneath said. “We have less than 200 certified individuals for each product. 200 does not give us the volume to be successful deploying those products to the enterprise.”

These two quotes from the article are what I'm paying attention to.
Post #1493322
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse