Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

It's not you; it's us Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:40 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:55 PM
Thanks for the superb writeup Gail.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1491301
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:51 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:28 PM
Good job, Gail, and I'm sorry for you, the current MCMs, and those that are studying for the certification now. It's poor treatment, and a bumbling way of handling the short term decision to move in a new direction and the overall long term decision to provide certifications.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1491311
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:16 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 11:09 AM
I've been in the IT field for more than a quarter of a century and I decided early on that I would not put any effort into certifications. My career has been going very well with each new position a significant increase from the previous in pay, benefits, and working environment.

I'm sure having certifications must be better than not having them but I'm also sure that, in my case at least, certifications are not necessary to succeed. So I guess what I mean by "better" is that having certifications may open doors to interviews that some could not get without certifications and maybe even increase the chances for success but are in no way required for success.

So if you want that slight extra chance for success and think it is worth all the extra effort and aggravation that goes along with it then certifications are for you. But if you feel that experience and continually looking for new opportunities for advancement are all that's needed then certifications will be a waste of time for you.

In my case, that latter has proven to be true over a long and successful career. I'm sure there are also many examples of successful people who have chosen the former. So it would be interesting to know where the numbers point.

Are there more success stories out there for people with certifications or people without certifications?

Enjoy!
Post #1491330
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:38 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 1:16 PM

“We want it to be an elite community, certainly. But some of the non-technical barriers to entry run the risk of making it elitist for non-technical reasons. Having a program that costs candidates nearly $20,000 creates a non-technical barrier to entry. Having a program that is English-only and only offered in the USA creates a non-technical barrier to entry.”

Well this is a pretty compelling snippet. At the same time, Gail offers that some of these barriers are falling, but I'm not able to find any details on that, anybody know what the actual details are? I am concerned that the chief task in attaining the MCM is costs, and I'm not a fan of people buying certs. Whats the bottom line, if Microsoft continued the MCM for current versions, or the MCSM, besides the knowledge, what does the average Joe have to do, including travel? Whats the bottom line here?

Post #1491341
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:48 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:57 AM
Thanks Gail, great article!

As for you & the rest of the MCMs, you have achieved a recognized excellence (if that made sense). Going forward, the recognition for this achievement will not diminish. With this window of opportunity closing, the rest of us will be challenged to find a new way to distinguish ourselves.
Post #1491348
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:52 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:29 PM
patrickmcginnis59 10839 (9/4/2013)

“We want it to be an elite community, certainly. But some of the non-technical barriers to entry run the risk of making it elitist for non-technical reasons. Having a program that costs candidates nearly $20,000 creates a non-technical barrier to entry. Having a program that is English-only and only offered in the USA creates a non-technical barrier to entry.”

Well this is a pretty compelling snippet. At the same time, Gail offers that some of these barriers are falling, but I'm not able to find any details on that, anybody know what the actual details are? I am concerned that the chief task in attaining the MCM is costs, and I'm not a fan of people buying certs. Whats the bottom line, if Microsoft continued the MCM for current versions, or the MCSM, besides the knowledge, what does the average Joe have to do, including travel? Whats the bottom line here?

Bottom line is $500 for the knowledge exam, $2000 for the lab exam, and travel costs. For the SQL MCM, I had to travel to Colorado to take the knowledge exam. For the lab exam, they opened it up and allowed for one to take it remotely (from the normal test centers) at an additional fee of $500. Based on whether you would have traveled or not and the length of travel involved, your prices may vary.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1491352
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:53 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:29 PM
jasona.work (9/4/2013)
Abu Dina (9/4/2013)
They can take away the title but they can't take away your knowledge.

You'll still be earning plenty of $$$$$

Abu, I don't think it's really about the money, so much as the utter lack of respect MS is showing people who put forth immense amounts of time, effort, and money to pursue and acheive the MCM. ...

Precisely. The real issue is the utter lack of respect in how the announcement was made.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1491354
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:53 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:52 AM
patrickmcginnis59 10839 (9/4/2013)
At the same time, Gail offers that some of these barriers are falling, but I'm not able to find any details on that, anybody know what the actual details are?

There's a link in the article (right around the point you quoted) to a page on an official MSL blog explaining the changes. It was an ongoing process, started in June for the products other than SQL.
For SQL, those barriers had been gone for a couple of years. I wrote the exams at a Prometric exam centre 15 minutes drive from my house. No US-visit, no 3-week training, no $20 000 fee.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1491355
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:57 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:52 AM
Abu Dina (9/4/2013)
You'll still be earning plenty of $$$$$

Really? Why didn't anyone tell me that?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1491358
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:01 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Today @ 11:10 AM
My sympathies to all. That was the first certification I ever took seriously from Microsoft. Could PASS or some other independent professional group have their own complementary certification? Assuming MS would go along with it. After this they may have no choice.
Post #1491362
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse