Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

How do I convert column data into row data? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:37 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:26 PM
Erland Sommarskog (9/11/2013)
ChrisM@Work (9/4/2013)
Or CROSS APPLY VALUES

Somewhat odd to use CROSS APPLY here. The normal is CROSS JOIN. Of course since there is no correlation on the right side, the CROSS APPLU is effectively a CROSS JOIN, but nevertheless.

Are you sure? CROSS JOIN shows an error because it can't referenciate n1, n2 and n3.

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1493942
Posted Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:19 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:24 AM
Erland Sommarskog (9/11/2013)
ChrisM@Work (9/4/2013)
Or CROSS APPLY VALUES

Somewhat odd to use CROSS APPLY here. The normal is CROSS JOIN. Of course since there is no correlation on the right side, the CROSS APPLU is effectively a CROSS JOIN, but nevertheless.

There are similarities and differences to CROSS JOIN. All rows from the RHS are matched to all rows on the LHS, for instance. However, whilst the VALUES clause of a CAV block introduces a table source such as CROSS JOIN requires, the values are taken from the "current row" on the LHS, from any table source in scope.
(CROSS) APPLY without introducing a table source effectively translates to "calculate new columns" using the current row(s). VALUES expands on this functionality allowing you to create new rows as well. Correlation is moot - you play with the data already in scope.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1494021
Posted Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:21 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:04 PM
Ah, I see. I had just completed an unpivot solution (using CROSS JOIN) in another thread prior to reading this thread. I need to look into this idea more.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se
Post #1494022
Posted Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:23 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Dwain C has a nice article covering usage, I've put a link in an earlier post in this thread.
Blimey. I've learned so much from your website over the years. Nice - and a privilege - to see the tables turned.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Post #1494023
Posted Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:07 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 12:37 AM
ChrisM@Work (9/12/2013)
Blimey. I've learned so much from your website over the years. Nice - and a privilege - to see the tables turned.

I would have to second that.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1494060
Posted Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:34 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:04 PM
Blimey? Must be some lingo local to Port Moresby.

Any way, since I don't think that there was a post with CROSS JOIN for unpivotting, here is an example, taken from another thread. When looking at the query plans, the CROSS APPLY solution looks better, but I would need more data to test. I would like to point out, though, that the solution with CROSS JOIN has the distinct advantage of being fully portable across platforms. (Hm, not all engines may support the VALUES clause, but it's easliy replaced with SELECT UNION ALL.)

Create Table #sample 
( Name Varchar(100) PRIMARY KEY,
Mark1 int,
Mark2 int,
Mark3 int)

insert into #sample values ('Vignesh',100,59,95)
insert into #sample values ('ram',23,45,33)
insert into #sample values ('kumar',58,12,15)
insert into #sample values ('umar',15,25,98)
go
SELECT s.Name, CASE n.n WHEN 1 THEN s.Mark1
WHEN 2 THEN s.Mark2
WHEN 3 THEN s.Mark3
END AS Mark,
CASE n.n WHEN 1 THEN 'Mark1'
WHEN 2 THEN 'Mark2'
WHEN 3 THEN 'Mark3'
END AS MarkName
FROM #sample s
CROSS JOIN (VALUES (1), (2), (3)) AS n(n)
ORDER BY s.Name, n.n
go
SELECT s.Name, M.Mark, M.name
FROM #sample s
CROSS APPLY (VALUES (1, s.Mark1, 'Mark1'), (2, s.Mark2, 'Mark2'), (3, s.Mark1, 'Mark3')) AS M(n, Mark, name)
ORDER BY s.Name, M.n
go
DROP TABLE #sample

Note that here I have added a column n to the CROSS APPLY table to make that query fully equivalent to the CROSS JOIN solution, but in the APPLY solution you don't need n if you don't care about order, whereas it's a driving column in the CROSS JOIN solution.

As for UNPIVOT - I have never been able to learn it, the same with PIVOT.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se
Post #1494383
Posted Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:19 PM

Hall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 12:37 AM
Erland Sommarskog (9/12/2013)

I didn't hear that much when I was out and about with my signboard.

I have it on good authority that Blimey is an exclusively British slang and that the Australian equivalent is Crikey, although the Tasmanian I heard that from is known for pulling my leg. There's a lot of Aussies in Port Moresby.

Now Pohmmie can refer to either Aussies (Prisoners Of Her Majesty) or Brits (turnabout is fair play) depending on who you talk to.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1494430
Posted Friday, September 13, 2013 1:01 AM

SSCertifiable

Erland Sommarskog (9/12/2013)

Any way, since I don't think that there was a post with CROSS JOIN for unpivotting, here is an example, taken from another thread. When looking at the query plans, the CROSS APPLY solution looks better, but I would need more data to test. I would like to point out, though, that the solution with CROSS JOIN has the distinct advantage of being fully portable across platforms. (Hm, not all engines may support the VALUES clause, but it's easliy replaced with SELECT UNION ALL.)

Create Table #sample 
( Name Varchar(100) PRIMARY KEY,
Mark1 int,
Mark2 int,
Mark3 int)

insert into #sample values ('Vignesh',100,59,95)
insert into #sample values ('ram',23,45,33)
insert into #sample values ('kumar',58,12,15)
insert into #sample values ('umar',15,25,98)
go
SELECT s.Name, CASE n.n WHEN 1 THEN s.Mark1
WHEN 2 THEN s.Mark2
WHEN 3 THEN s.Mark3
END AS Mark,
CASE n.n WHEN 1 THEN 'Mark1'
WHEN 2 THEN 'Mark2'
WHEN 3 THEN 'Mark3'
END AS MarkName
FROM #sample s
CROSS JOIN (VALUES (1), (2), (3)) AS n(n)
ORDER BY s.Name, n.n
go
SELECT s.Name, M.Mark, M.name
FROM #sample s
CROSS APPLY (VALUES (1, s.Mark1, 'Mark1'), (2, s.Mark2, 'Mark2'), (3, s.Mark1, 'Mark3')) AS M(n, Mark, name)
ORDER BY s.Name, M.n
go
DROP TABLE #sample

Note that here I have added a column n to the CROSS APPLY table to make that query fully equivalent to the CROSS JOIN solution, but in the APPLY solution you don't need n if you don't care about order, whereas it's a driving column in the CROSS JOIN solution.

As for UNPIVOT - I have never been able to learn it, the same with PIVOT.

Thanks for posting this - it's interesting to see both together. I'll have a closer look (in a couple of weeks, after vacation).
I've not been able to learn PIVOT and UNPIVOT either - a swift look at BOL is always necessary. Since they both look like quick-and-dirty implementations, I'll wait until MS rewrites them properly.

Post #1494473
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse