Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Help Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, November 27, 2014 11:02 PM
I am DBA with two year of experience on SQL server 2008 R2,
i have some questions that should i stick to this field or switch to BI as a SQL Developer
learning SSIS . So friends please give suggestions
Post #1490072
Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 6:52 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 10:51 AM
Simple, follow your passion... and the money. Do what you love AND will get paid for.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of:
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1490134
Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 6:55 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 9:13 AM
jeetsingh.cs (8/30/2013)
i have some questions that should i stick to this field or switch to BI as a SQL Developer
learning SSIS .

Which do you enjoy more?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1490137
Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 8:02 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 2:14 PM
jeetsingh.cs (8/30/2013)
I am DBA with two year of experience on SQL server 2008 R2,
learning SSIS . So friends please give suggestions

As the others have stated, do which you like the best. As an option, there's nothing wrong with doing both.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1490174
Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 10:55 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

thanks for the replies
i want to earn a lot of money and i enjoy new tasks and just want grow my learning
i like writing sql queries and all the stuff that challenges mind
Post #1490234
Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 10:56 AM
SSC Veteran

can i go doing both and
should i go for certification
Post #1490235
Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 11:16 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 10:51 AM
jeetsingh.cs (8/30/2013)
can i go doing both and
should i go for certification

Certifications is a whole different discussion.

You're early enough in your career that it might help some. Maybe.

I'm honestly the wrong person to talk to. I don't trust most certifications.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of:
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1490243
Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 3:08 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, November 24, 2014 4:58 PM
Certification will definitely get you more money but beware that expectations will also be high on job from a certified professional. If you don't cope up with those, you are gone. So no rush for certification. Stick to DBA. Enhance your skillsets.You will never die hungry. I'll suggest you to get specialized in DBA area because here you will not have fear of getting outdated. Basics always remain same.
Post #1490315
Posted Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:45 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 9:13 AM
Snigdha Vartak (8/30/2013)
Certification will definitely get you more money

Not necessarily.

As of last night, there are now 0 certifications that one can take that I will immediately respect. MCITP/MCTS/MCSA/MCSE tell me that either a person is interested in learning more, that they were required by their company to take the exams and did the absolute bare minimum memorisation or that they're a cheat, which it is I have to find in the interview.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1490366
Posted Sunday, September 1, 2013 9:54 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:11 PM
GilaMonster (8/31/2013)
Snigdha Vartak (8/30/2013)
Certification will definitely get you more money

Not necessarily.

As of last night, there are now 0 certifications that one can take that I will immediately respect. MCITP/MCTS/MCSA/MCSE tell me that either a person is interested in learning more, that they were required by their company to take the exams and did the absolute bare minimum memorisation or that they're a cheat, which it is I have to find in the interview.

Exactly so. All an MS Certification (other than MCS or MC[S]M, which no longer exist) tells me is that the person has, for some reason, taken the exam and is capable of retaining some stuff in memory for at least a few weeks. Whether they have actually learnt how to do anything useful, rather than just parrot some information , whether they will retain any of the information you learnt for long enough for it to be useful to me or forget it all within a fortnight of taking the exam, and whether they understood what the stuff they learnt means or just parroted it in the exam with no real understanding, is not something that the certification gives any indication of. It's even less reliable than a bachelor's degree from most universities in that respect (and that's a very high degree of unreliability).
From people looking for a first technical post what I want to see is evidence of ability and willingness to learn; currently available levels of MS certification provides evidence of willingness to undertake a crammer course and pass an exam while the cramming is fresh, not of real learning ability, and someone with MC[S]M (especially with MCA as well) is not going to be looking for an entry level post. For more senior people, I'm looking for track record - verifiable track record, preferably vouched for by people I know I can trust, but regard having recently been certified MC[S]M as pretty solid evidence of competence and pretty deep understanding of the MS technology concerned and MCA as strengthening that evidence. The lower level qualifications are irrelevant. So it's a pity that the useful certs have been dropped.

Tom
Post #1490466
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse